How do I deactivate copilot in Word for the Mac?

Anonymous
2025-01-19T08:34:09+00:00

I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-08T15:41:41+00:00

    no sign yet on Word for Mac.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-08T15:40:14+00:00

    John, I've reverted back to Microsoft Word 16.89.1 for now. I've heard that Microsoft will eventually provide a way to disable Copilot in Preferences, but I haven't seen it yet. FYI, I'm using the subscription-based Microsoft 365 on my Mac.

    Craig

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
    2025-02-08T15:33:56+00:00

    Look in Word> Preferences - Copilot to see if you've yet received the checkbox for Enable Copilot preference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-08T08:57:45+00:00

    Has anyone found a way to disable copilot? Microsoft keeps on recommending checkbox features (like uninstall) that are not available. I am running Word for Mac16.93 on Sonoma 14.5. Maybe I should revert to an older version of Mac iOS?

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-02-07T04:02:09+00:00

    Zenobia.Z,

    Thanks so much for explaining this. But can you send a note up the chain that it is incredibly annoying and frustrating for Word to be automatically pushed in a form that doesn't allow me to disable this annoying feature? Every doc I have now says first thing that I should consider using copilot, when I don't want to, and can't turn it off?!

    At least for me, it's a race for time for Word to fix this and let me go away, or I'll migrate to some other app that isn't so obnoxious. Thanks for letting the higher-ups know to get on this, as you are able!

    NE

    No one here can get any special attention from the people "up the chain." You can, though.

    Use the feedback mechanisms to be heard.

    This is a user-to-user support forum. -- You can give feedback TO MICROSOFT designers and decision makers on Microsoft Word or other Microsoft Products using their feedback mechanisms, (not here). (This is a link to directions.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments