How do I deactivate copilot in Word for the Mac?

Anonymous
2025-01-19T08:34:09+00:00

I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2025-02-14T16:31:48+00:00

    Various options to control Copilot are available to some users having certain licenses. I don't see any of those options with my enterprise license.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-24T12:41:15+00:00

    I am REALLY REALLY keen to remove Copilot - I DO NOT WANT some AI machine interfering with my writing .... PLEASE ACCELERATE the release of the button to remove it as it is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-23T13:04:36+00:00

    Because of this, I decided to configure my firewall so MS apps don't have access to a network connection. While this doesn't eliminate the annoyance of the poor update practices of Microsoft and the already present copilot, it will minimize my future problems resulting from their half baked update practices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-22T19:07:10+00:00

    I have problems deactivating the copilot in Word on my MacBook Pro (actually it should be deactivated from PowerPoint and Excel too). I tried to follow tutorials but it seems like i dont have the possibility in my Word settings.

    I don't have the choices you present on my mac. While it took a bit of time to figure out "Application Menu", but when I did there is no co-pilot listed. In fact, the steps described don't in any way match my options.

    Running Sequoia 15.3

    Macbook Air M3

    Word version Version 16.93 (25011212)

    ***

    So in fairness, I would ask, could you very carefully and step by step, using language that is accurate, tell me how to turn off copilot? I'll start and example for you, please fill in the rest:

    If you are a mac user, go to the Application name just to the right of the black apple logo in the top left corner of your screen. Click on the menu option Word and you will see a drop down menu that shows the following

    About Microsoft Word

    Preferences

    Sign Out...

    Services

    Hide Word

    Hide Others

    Show All [Grayed out)

    Quit Word

    [And so on].

    [The above is an example. Given I don't have those options, I suspect it is buried somewhere else. Much appreciated.]

    You were reading a response about File > Options > Copilot.

    Those are Word for Windows version 2501 instructions. They do not apply to the Mac version.

    Read through this thread.

    There is no simple way to do this on the Mac.

    Microsoft has promised that they are coming out with one soon.

    Otherwise, others have described a way to get Microsoft to change your account settings to "classic." This is not simple and will take time. I know how frustrating this is, but you may want to simply wait for Microsoft to fix their blunder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-22T05:12:11+00:00

    I dunno. I knew what he meant. But even if he wasn't clear, it'd be nice if snark were the second or perhaps third choice for tone, rather than the go-to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments