Fix for "Clipboard Error. We couldn't copy the content of the clipboard"

Anonymous
2024-04-29T02:20:04+00:00

There have been many posts on how to fix the message Clipboard Error. We couldn't copy the content to the clipboard because its in use by another application.

I tried many of the suggestions:

  • Turn off live preview
  • Clear the clipboard
  • Reboot
  • Repair Excel
  • Add special folders to the Windows directory.
  • Issue the command prompt 'Echo Off | clip
  • Use the statement "Application.CutCopyMode = False after doing a copy and before closing a file
  • Copying one cell before closing a file
  • Removing com add-ins
  • Closing all other applications
  • And a score of others

None worked. I have a test macro that works for several minutes and does many copy/paste, graphics, formatting, etc. It would display the clipboard error at least once every 2 or 3 executions, and often every execution. I used it to test all the posted cures.

What I finally realized is that the application that was using the clipboard and causing the error was Excel itself. Excel was basically not able to keep up with the command to clear the clipboard.

The cure then became simple. Slow excel down by using the statement "DoEvents" right after I issued the command "Application.CutCopyMode = False". And to put the Application.CutCopyMode = False after I was finished with any copy that I did and right before any workbook close command. I've run my macro 10 times and no clipboard error message appears.

Please give it a try.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-25T18:36:32+00:00

    This didn't work for me, but adding a slight delay after a particularly large copy/paste action worked

    Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-25T21:54:35+00:00

    Hey guys, as I see Microsoft nor Logitech came with a solution yet, so I will share mine that I’ve been testing for the past month. The issue for me was the combination of excel and a task called Logi+ Agent running in the background. After I’ve killed the task, the issue with copy/paste went away but also all functionality of my MX mouse. I don’t know if this is Microsoft fault or Logitech, but obviously these two programs don’t work well together. A few weeks ago the whole Logi+ programme stopped working on my computer so I had it uninstalled by IT completely. In order to get the functionality of my mouse back, I spent some time searching and

    in a widely related forum I stumbled upon a program called X-Mouse button control. The UI definitely doesn’t look so nice as the Logi+ but has most of the functionality I need. You can set up different shortcuts for different apps just like in Logi+ and even chain them. It doesn’t work with gestures on the other hand.

    It comes in two versions - standard install and “portabe” that is ideal for anyone without admin rights for installing. Just add the programme to lauch after start and thats it.

    Note: this obviously doesn’t solve the issue if you need Logi+ for your keyboard. It can only control the “basic” 5 buttons.

    I hope you find this useful!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-28T08:21:48+00:00

    So found out it's Logi Options+. Someone mentioned it on Reddit, and out of frustration I gave it a try. They said to uninstall the entire application, but I don't have admin rights, so I just Ended Tasks in the Task Manager, for everything but the Logi Options+ Updater, since that requires Admin Rights. Problem went away. 😯

    When I came back after my screensaver kicked in, it happened again. I checked and the other two Logi Options+ apps were open. Ended them and problem went away. Just now, screensaver kicked in, problem in Excel keeps happening after I log in. I checked and Logi Options+ Agent was the only one that came back. It also seems Logi Options+ Updater doesn't cause an issue, but the other two do.

    For me, it's definitely not the Logi Options+ since I don't have it installed. There must be another program doing similar things.
    The DoEvents didn't solve the issue, but

    • I get it less frequently
    • It solved the issue that Excel seemed unresponsive due to the program running for such a long time with screen updating switched off.

    I use the command

    MapDstSheet.Cells(InsPos + myOffSet, 1).EntireRow.Copy MapDstSheet.Cells(InsPos, 1).EntireRow

    MapDstSheet is assigned to ThisWorkbook.Sheets("XYZ") depending on the situation.

    to copy the content from a couple of lines down. I hoped since this is like a 1 step copy & paste, that it wouldn't use the clipboard, but it seems it does. I could try to circumvent it by bringing over the cell attributed that I need, but that would be the text formatting (bold or not, colour, italic or not, plus the cell colour and borders for about 15 cells in that line.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-21T21:06:31+00:00

    I have logitech options installed as well and ive been experiencing these issues lately. Am a heavy Excel user, so its a problem.

    I just tried to uninstall and it seems to fix it.

    However, the problems likely started with some update since i didnt initially experience this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-22T02:40:40+00:00

    I'll give it a try. Having trouble with my mouse not responding. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments