Fix for "Clipboard Error. We couldn't copy the content of the clipboard"

Anonymous
2024-04-29T02:20:04+00:00

There have been many posts on how to fix the message Clipboard Error. We couldn't copy the content to the clipboard because its in use by another application.

I tried many of the suggestions:

  • Turn off live preview
  • Clear the clipboard
  • Reboot
  • Repair Excel
  • Add special folders to the Windows directory.
  • Issue the command prompt 'Echo Off | clip
  • Use the statement "Application.CutCopyMode = False after doing a copy and before closing a file
  • Copying one cell before closing a file
  • Removing com add-ins
  • Closing all other applications
  • And a score of others

None worked. I have a test macro that works for several minutes and does many copy/paste, graphics, formatting, etc. It would display the clipboard error at least once every 2 or 3 executions, and often every execution. I used it to test all the posted cures.

What I finally realized is that the application that was using the clipboard and causing the error was Excel itself. Excel was basically not able to keep up with the command to clear the clipboard.

The cure then became simple. Slow excel down by using the statement "DoEvents" right after I issued the command "Application.CutCopyMode = False". And to put the Application.CutCopyMode = False after I was finished with any copy that I did and right before any workbook close command. I've run my macro 10 times and no clipboard error message appears.

Please give it a try.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T18:36:08+00:00

    I think I am in a similar situation. I have an MX Master 3S and K650, and am getting the same clipboard error in Excel. It is not worth it to me to uninstall Logi Options+, so I guess I will be dealing with this issue until Logitech fixes it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-06T19:20:22+00:00

    Hi All,

    I just did a Logitec update (V1.80.601141) and if I'm interpreting this correctly, it seems to say that it addresses this issue:

    What's fixed

    . Fix for Options+ crash during flow copy paste on some Windows systems

    . Flow doesn't work when foreground app is running in admin mode

    . Fixes for some random crashes.

    I've been copy/pasting between various Excel docs for the past five minutes and it seems to be working. I did get that same pop up error but it didn't prevent me from pasting the data I just copied. I'll continue to test it.

    8/13/24 Update: The issue seems to be still occurring.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-13T05:56:22+00:00

    Hi everyone, unfortunately the update (V1.80.601141) didn't help with the issue on my computer. The frequency of the clipboard error seems to be the same as before the update. I'm afraid the update addresses only the "flow copy/paste" which is copying between two devices...

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-13T15:49:43+00:00

    I agree, it isn't working for me either now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-21T12:56:30+00:00

    THANK YOU! I have been pulling my hair out about this issue. I thought it was a problem with Excel and was fuming about it. Now I have to decide what I like more: the Cut/Paste function in Excel or the "smart" buttons on my Logi keyboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments