MS Access (O365) Encountering -3151 Error (ODBC Connection to Salesforce Failed) During Salesforce Data Connection Setup

Anonymous
2024-07-17T21:02:01+00:00

SOLUTION: There is a bug with the recent O365 update. Until Microsoft addresses the issue, you must revert to the previous version, 17726.20126. You can do so programmatically. Here's a command to revert to previous version: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.17726.20126

Issue:

I have been using the built-in MS Access Salesforce ODBC driver and have successfully connected to Salesforce for several years without any issues. Recently, when I tried to run a query, I encountered the "ODBC Connection to Salesforce Failed" error.

I have attempted to refresh the link, reimport the tables, and confirmed that my Salesforce token has not changed. I checked my Salesforce login events, and I'm not seeing any attempts to login from the partner product.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve or troubleshoot this issue?

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-09-10T14:38:17+00:00

Hi,

I just downloaded the new build from today and updated the status in our documenting AFo article to this text:

Microsoft planned to release a fix for this problem in the Current Channel on Patch Tuesday, Sep 10. The update is version 2408 build 17928.20156*.*

If you do not receive it automatically, you can retrieve it by choosing Update Nowon File - Account*.*

If you were affected by the bug, please let us know if the update fixes the Salesforce connector problem for you.

Servus
Karl
****************
Access Forever News DevCon
Access-Entwickler-Konferenz AEK - 19./20.10. Nürnberg

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-19T20:12:01+00:00

    Karl,

    I have 2 problems.

    1. When I try to "Disable Updates", it doesn't do anything.

    (I get the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?", and I click "Yes". But I see no evidence that anything changed. I still see "Updates are automatically downloaded and installed".)

    2. And when I run this command:

    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.17531.20190

    I see "Checking for Updates...", followed by "You're up to date!".

    ![Image](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/0382218c-26be-40f2-867b-ab8f2464302b?platform=QnA

    But then, under Apps & features, I still see that my installed version is still the buggy one:  16.0.17628.20188    :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-19T21:04:58+00:00

    Your command is updating to the current, buggy version. It should be this version instead:

    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.17726.20126

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-19T22:07:49+00:00

    Eden,

    Thanks. But No. That doesn't work for me. Neither my version or yours. I seem to be stuck.

    I can't even tell my system to prevent updates with that simple "Disable Updates" option.

    Also, when I run the Command line, I don't get the correct messages mentioned in Karl's article:

    • Downloading Microsoft 365 and Office updates.
    • Applying updates...
    • Updates were installed.

    All I get is:

    • Checking for Updates...
    • "You're up to date!" (and yet I'm NOT on the version I want. I'm on the stupid LATEST version.)

    I think my problem is that I belong to a company whose IT has clamped down on my ability to affect my current Office 365 version. :-(

    Also, the reason your "ideal" version and my "ideal" version are different may be because I'm on the Enterprise version and you might not be.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments