MS Access (O365) Encountering -3151 Error (ODBC Connection to Salesforce Failed) During Salesforce Data Connection Setup

Anonymous
2024-07-17T21:02:01+00:00

SOLUTION: There is a bug with the recent O365 update. Until Microsoft addresses the issue, you must revert to the previous version, 17726.20126. You can do so programmatically. Here's a command to revert to previous version: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.17726.20126

Issue:

I have been using the built-in MS Access Salesforce ODBC driver and have successfully connected to Salesforce for several years without any issues. Recently, when I tried to run a query, I encountered the "ODBC Connection to Salesforce Failed" error.

I have attempted to refresh the link, reimport the tables, and confirmed that my Salesforce token has not changed. I checked my Salesforce login events, and I'm not seeing any attempts to login from the partner product.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve or troubleshoot this issue?

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-09-10T14:38:17+00:00

Hi,

I just downloaded the new build from today and updated the status in our documenting AFo article to this text:

Microsoft planned to release a fix for this problem in the Current Channel on Patch Tuesday, Sep 10. The update is version 2408 build 17928.20156*.*

If you do not receive it automatically, you can retrieve it by choosing Update Nowon File - Account*.*

If you were affected by the bug, please let us know if the update fixes the Salesforce connector problem for you.

Servus
Karl
****************
Access Forever News DevCon
Access-Entwickler-Konferenz AEK - 19./20.10. Nürnberg

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-05T11:51:15+00:00

    Hi,

    I received the following response from Microsoft Support regarding the Salesforce connecter no longer working in Access:

    Microsoft has made changes regarding the support of the Salesforce connector in Access. Previously, Access provided native support for connecting to Salesforce without the need for third-party ODBC drivers. However, recent updates and policy changes from Microsoft have altered this support structure.

    ...

    I have asked the people in charge and can now say that THIS IS NOT TRUE. Support for the Salesforce connector in Access has NOT been discontinued. There has been no change of policy in this regard.

    Based on information from Microsoft's Access team, I've just updated the status in our bug-documenting AFo article to say that the fix for this problem will be delivered to the Current Channel next week. LTSC will follow later. You can read more details, which we will continue to update, there.

    The question remains as to how this fake news came about:
    Can you provide a support incident number (better in PM) so that it can be further investigated and clarified?
    Somehow I tend to agree with the comment of a colleague who suspects an AI hallucination behind this. At whatever point.

    Servus
    Karl
    ****************
    Access Forever News DevCon
    Access-Entwickler-Konferenz AEK - 19./20.10. Nürnberg

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-03T16:09:44+00:00

    Hi,

    Strange. Can you tell us for which version of Office you asked and got that support answer?

    This could play a role here regarding the scope.

    To quote the documentation:

    The ability to link to or import data from Salesforce is only supported in volume licensed instances of Access 2019 or the following Microsoft 365 Enterprise plans: Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise, Office 365 Enterprise E3, and Office 365 Enterprise E5.

    In addition it's mentioned there for Access 2021, most probably also only volume licensed = LTSC.

    Servus
    Karl
    ****************
    Access Forever News DevCon
    Access-Entwickler-Konferenz AEK – 19./20.10. Nürnberg

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. George Hepworth 23,120 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-09-03T15:44:24+00:00

    Thank you VERY much for sharing this. I concur that a change of this sort should have followed public notice somewhere.

    Subsequent discussion reveals the claim that the SalesForce connector was discontinued is not true (see Karl's explanation below).

    I apologize for reacting prematurely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments