Excel Does Nothing When Inserting/Deleting Rows or Columns

Anonymous
2024-06-06T13:08:38+00:00

When using excel since the May 30th update, Excel does nothing when inserting/deleting rows/columns.

The insert and insert paste row/column options are not greyed out on right click. When the insert option is selected, nothing happens. Same for the Insert sheet rows/columns in the home tab: nothing happens when clicked. No error messages either, it seems like excel just forgets what you told it to do.

This is happening on newly opened blank workbooks as well, so there are no frozen panes, sheet protection, hidden rows, worksheet errors or corrupt workbooks, and there's no point in restarting excel for a workbook that was just opened.

I have already repaired and re-installed office 365.

Restarting the computer allows me to insert rows/columns 2-3 times before it breaks again.

EDIT: added "deleting" and "columns" to initial "could not insert rows"

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-15T12:51:57+00:00

    Glad to hear that. Feel free to share any update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-18T08:43:02+00:00

    Hello,

    There are now several threads on the Msft community about this - it seems the bug is affecting many users.

    It is not just affecting large or complicated workbooks, I've had it cause an issue on a very simple model while delivering training (which as you can imagine was as big a problem as the corruptions it has caused on our complex models).

    Since there's been radio silence on an ETA for a fix, I rolled back versions yesterday and this has been incredibly painful. I've lost all my Office preferences and customisations, had to wait for hours for all my mail to download again, install add-ins in Excel again, etc. etc. The worst is that my Outlook calendar was lost...I'm having to ask clients to re-send invites and know that I'll inevitably miss some appointments!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-20T15:54:40+00:00

    Was this specific issue fixed in this new release? I don't want to upgrade unless I know that this issue was fixed. I don't want to risk breaking something else.
    I cannot tell from the notes. They only say

    Version 2405: June 19

    Version 2405 (Build 17628.20164)

    • Various bug and performance fixes.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-20T17:34:11+00:00

    I am having the same exact problem. This is killing productivity and having the organization second guess data integrity.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments