Excel Does Nothing When Inserting/Deleting Rows or Columns

Anonymous
2024-06-06T13:08:38+00:00

When using excel since the May 30th update, Excel does nothing when inserting/deleting rows/columns.

The insert and insert paste row/column options are not greyed out on right click. When the insert option is selected, nothing happens. Same for the Insert sheet rows/columns in the home tab: nothing happens when clicked. No error messages either, it seems like excel just forgets what you told it to do.

This is happening on newly opened blank workbooks as well, so there are no frozen panes, sheet protection, hidden rows, worksheet errors or corrupt workbooks, and there's no point in restarting excel for a workbook that was just opened.

I have already repaired and re-installed office 365.

Restarting the computer allows me to insert rows/columns 2-3 times before it breaks again.

EDIT: added "deleting" and "columns" to initial "could not insert rows"

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-15T12:51:57+00:00

    Glad to hear that. Feel free to share any update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-15T12:45:00+00:00

    I applied this solution an hour ago and have been working throughout this hour on several workbooks; the issue seems resolved.
    I will update the thread in a few days.

    1. updates disabled
    2. I ran the cmd to revert to an earlier version of Office

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-14T17:29:20+00:00

    We are also having the exact same problem, on new spreadsheets as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-14T13:48:37+00:00

    So I need a test file to reproduce your issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments