Excel Does Nothing When Inserting/Deleting Rows or Columns

Anonymous
2024-06-06T13:08:38+00:00

When using excel since the May 30th update, Excel does nothing when inserting/deleting rows/columns.

The insert and insert paste row/column options are not greyed out on right click. When the insert option is selected, nothing happens. Same for the Insert sheet rows/columns in the home tab: nothing happens when clicked. No error messages either, it seems like excel just forgets what you told it to do.

This is happening on newly opened blank workbooks as well, so there are no frozen panes, sheet protection, hidden rows, worksheet errors or corrupt workbooks, and there's no point in restarting excel for a workbook that was just opened.

I have already repaired and re-installed office 365.

Restarting the computer allows me to insert rows/columns 2-3 times before it breaks again.

EDIT: added "deleting" and "columns" to initial "could not insert rows"

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-21T18:59:34+00:00

    Actually, it shows me a different (later?) version? Why does it show me this?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-20T15:54:40+00:00

    Was this specific issue fixed in this new release? I don't want to upgrade unless I know that this issue was fixed. I don't want to risk breaking something else.
    I cannot tell from the notes. They only say

    Version 2405: June 19

    Version 2405 (Build 17628.20164)

    • Various bug and performance fixes.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-15T11:30:42+00:00

    I have the same issue.
    Yet, my Excel is a large formatted double-entry bookkeeping accounting workbook.
    To resolve this issue is of utmost importance.
    Like Rick said, I would often close, then restart Excel, and it would temporarily solve the issue.
    Problem started at around May 30th as well.

    I've tried keeping the file on desktop only (no OneDrive) as I thought it was a OneDrive sync issue.
    It is not.
    I've had to restore previous versions when fatal errors would occur.

    I think there was a recent update to Excel that wasn't vetted correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-14T13:30:06+00:00

    Close all the workbook. Then new workbook will work.

    If you already opened a file with that issue, all the workbook will not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments