my files are saving to d.docs.live.net, why is this and how to I get my files back on my computer? I have windows 11

Anonymous
2024-04-05T00:01:37+00:00

Instead of my files saving to my computer some of them save to https://d.docs.live.net.53e22b9e14726e2e.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-09-16T07:27:22+00:00

    Hi Stefan,

    I've been having the same problem with files saving to d.docs.live.net which I believe is One Drive. Thanks for your answer about saving through: Default local save location" at File > Options > Save

    Can you please advise where I locate this thread. Is it by each individual document, or can it be fixed through a central one-stop location eg in computer Settings or in the Office application eg Word.

    Either way, for the technologically challenged like me, can you please explain with a step-by-step instruction, &/or through screenshots.

    Many thnx
    Alyson

    Alyson,

    Which version of Office do you have? As far as I know, the option to set a default save location which isn't OneDrive only exists in Office for Windows. For example, in Word, click the File tab and then click Options (sometimes, depending on the size of the Word window and the screen size and resolution, you have to click More before you can see Options). Go to the Save category where you will find the options for "Save to Computer by default" and for setting a "Default local file location."

    If you want to prevent any type of synchronization with OneDrive, unlink your PC as discussed in the article at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-16T06:17:57+00:00

    Hi Stefan,

    I've been having the same problem with files saving to d.docs.live.net which I believe is One Drive. Thanks for your answer about saving through: Default local save location" at File > Options > Save

    Can you please advise where I locate this thread. Is it by each individual document, or can it be fixed through a central one-stop location eg in computer Settings or in the Office application eg Word.

    Either way, for the technologically challenged like me, can you please explain with a step-by-step instruction, &/or through screenshots.

    Many thnx
    Alyson

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-15T02:50:59+00:00

    Me too. Only started doing this in the last week and I never had a problem previously.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-25T11:36:38+00:00

    Hi Stefan,

    In my case, the documents get the NAME d.docs.live.net, which overwrites the original file name and then OneDrive insists there are inconsistencies and refuses to save the file under the name I want it to be saved.

    Have you seen this?

    I do need to save to OneDrive instead of locally, so I can't disconnect from OneDrive. But, I do not understand why OneDrive changes a filename and creates confusion.

    Thanks for your help

    Heidi

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-08-13T23:07:24+00:00

    Where TF does one find the "option," (??) - "Save to Computer by default." ?? I only see "save" and "save as," Why TF doesn't MS Word just save under the same doc title and same doc location?? (One click); instead of what it's doing now?

    As I wrote, click File > Options > Save in the Windows version of Word. There you will find "Save to Computer by default." If you have some other version of Word and another operating system, you won't find the option.

    If you want to save a document, as opposed to saving under a new name, then all you have to do is press Ctrl+S.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments