My Word keeps freezing (Word for Mac)

Anonymous
2024-05-16T05:16:27+00:00

Hello,

I have Word 16.85 provided through my university. I have noticed this consistently in the passed few days. Every time I select my text and then try to change the bullet, my whole software across all the Word Windows freezes, the 'Microsoft Error Reporting' background app pops up and appears in the applications dock, and the window says it is unresponsive. I then have to either force quit or restart my entire device.

I did my research and it says to reinstall the latest AutoUpdate which I did, but that did nothing. I then completely reinstalled the entire Microsoft suite which 2 days later it has returned. I can't keep reinstalling the suite because I have limited downloads through my educational institution. I have contacted IT support from my university and they are unable to help but provide temporary solutions that makes my desktop app useless.

For context I have the latest MacBook pro, the device software is up to date with the latest IOS and my word says it doesn't need updating.

Please help, I have exams in 2 weeks and every time it freezes it deletes all my recent work and takes a minimum of 4 hours to find a solution (normally reinstalling the entire Microsoft suite).

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-06T19:24:03+00:00

THANK YOU!! I thought I was going crazy. Had done a bunch of A/B testing prior to finding this thread.

The 'without Teams' link didn't work for me, but the other link did, so again, thank you so much!!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

56 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-24T18:32:40+00:00

    Myself, and all of my colleagues who use Microsoft Word on Macs are currently having the same issue where it freezes repeatedly and will not even allow for normal typing at the pace at which one is hitting the keys for more than about 15 minutes. We have all had to repeatedly Force Quit and restart, despite downloading the latest updates for Mac and MS word and recovering files, we are turning to Google Docs for the time being as it's very unreliable currently and cannot handle even opening and scrolling normally through documents with Tracks Changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-25T10:00:34+00:00

    Just wanna add to this post that this is a serious issue with the 16.85 Word version for Mac. Me and my friend both have an M2 MacBook Air and we've experienced issues on this latest version. My Word app has acted very slow a few times, and simply restarting the app solved the issue when it happened. But for him it froze completely under a very important exam we had recently, and he was seriously negatively affected by it.

    Please fix this issue as soon as possible so that no one else is affected by it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-25T23:31:11+00:00

    Exactly the same issue for me. University supplied MS Office with Word Version 16.85 on a MacBook Air, running Sonoma 14.5. Starts ok, then slows, then slows more and more with massive lag, then eventually hangs and then crashes completely. All I can do is a Force Quit and lose my work or a hard restart of the Mac and hope that Document Recovery will at least bring some of my work back.

    It's doing my head in! Please fix/patch this?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more