My Word keeps freezing (Word for Mac)

Anonymous
2024-05-16T05:16:27+00:00

Hello,

I have Word 16.85 provided through my university. I have noticed this consistently in the passed few days. Every time I select my text and then try to change the bullet, my whole software across all the Word Windows freezes, the 'Microsoft Error Reporting' background app pops up and appears in the applications dock, and the window says it is unresponsive. I then have to either force quit or restart my entire device.

I did my research and it says to reinstall the latest AutoUpdate which I did, but that did nothing. I then completely reinstalled the entire Microsoft suite which 2 days later it has returned. I can't keep reinstalling the suite because I have limited downloads through my educational institution. I have contacted IT support from my university and they are unable to help but provide temporary solutions that makes my desktop app useless.

For context I have the latest MacBook pro, the device software is up to date with the latest IOS and my word says it doesn't need updating.

Please help, I have exams in 2 weeks and every time it freezes it deletes all my recent work and takes a minimum of 4 hours to find a solution (normally reinstalling the entire Microsoft suite).

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-06T19:24:03+00:00

THANK YOU!! I thought I was going crazy. Had done a bunch of A/B testing prior to finding this thread.

The 'without Teams' link didn't work for me, but the other link did, so again, thank you so much!!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

56 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-24T15:09:07+00:00

    My husband and I have the same frustrating issue. I have a MacBook Air, and he has a MacBook Pro. Sonoma 14.0.

    Family 365 subscription.

    We have reinstalled the app but it works for max. 1/2 hour and then freezes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-23T16:34:03+00:00

    I am having this issue also-seems to be getting worse over time. Sometimes improves shortly with a restart of Word, but degrades.

    Mac OS Sonoma 14.5

    Word: 16.85 365 subscription

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-23T14:33:45+00:00

    I'm a student as well using my student license and have noticed the same issue. I'm on the latest OS and Office 365 version.

    Device - Apple M1,8GB Ram

    OS - Sonoma 14.5

    Word ver - 16.85 Installed on 15th May 2024 and noticed lag since then.

    Also noticed CPU usage goes above 100% which potentially causes the frozen screen.
    Attached image of Activity monitor

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-22T23:38:02+00:00

    I am having this issue, but am on Ventura 13.3.1 (Macbook Air M1 2020). Been thinking about updating to Sonoma to see if it would help, but it sounds like that's a no, huh?

    I have a big work project that involves lots of Track Changes work on fairly long docs with footnotes and comments. 20/30 mins in, freezes or I get a sudden crash. Have to keep saving every few minutes so as not to lose work.

    Please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments