My Word keeps freezing (Word for Mac)

Anonymous
2024-05-16T05:16:27+00:00

Hello,

I have Word 16.85 provided through my university. I have noticed this consistently in the passed few days. Every time I select my text and then try to change the bullet, my whole software across all the Word Windows freezes, the 'Microsoft Error Reporting' background app pops up and appears in the applications dock, and the window says it is unresponsive. I then have to either force quit or restart my entire device.

I did my research and it says to reinstall the latest AutoUpdate which I did, but that did nothing. I then completely reinstalled the entire Microsoft suite which 2 days later it has returned. I can't keep reinstalling the suite because I have limited downloads through my educational institution. I have contacted IT support from my university and they are unable to help but provide temporary solutions that makes my desktop app useless.

For context I have the latest MacBook pro, the device software is up to date with the latest IOS and my word says it doesn't need updating.

Please help, I have exams in 2 weeks and every time it freezes it deletes all my recent work and takes a minimum of 4 hours to find a solution (normally reinstalling the entire Microsoft suite).

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-06T19:24:03+00:00

THANK YOU!! I thought I was going crazy. Had done a bunch of A/B testing prior to finding this thread.

The 'without Teams' link didn't work for me, but the other link did, so again, thank you so much!!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

56 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-28T12:50:00+00:00

    That’s fine as a workaround, but why bother when Microsoft has supplied a patch update already? (Also, some of us working on enterprise systems, like universities, don’t really have the option of installing older versions.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-28T12:24:07+00:00

    Hello from Norway,

    on 21 May, many Norwegian students had their exams. We experienced major problems with word version 16.85. The next day we had downgraded to version 16.84 and then we experienced no problems with freezing and loss of the last work.

    Is it possible to access the error log for "all" events on May 21st? What does one have to do to get this error log?

    Regards Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-27T12:54:53+00:00

    Hi Claire,

    Could you post an update on this issue, which is obviously affecting numerous users? It would be nice to have an ETA on a fix, but at least confirm that Microsoft is working on it. This is the worst bug I have personally encountered in almost thirty years of using computers for work, and some people seem to be having even worse outcomes than I have had myself.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-27T10:57:34+00:00

    I have also been experiencing an issue where the Microsoft Office suite (PowerPoint, Word) keeps freezing on my MacBook Air. I performed a hard reset, thinking it might resolve the problem, but it persists. Interestingly, the online web version works fine without any issues. It seems to be a problem with the applications themselves, but I'm not sure how to fix it. Can anyone help? This issue is causing delays in my work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments