Word is slow to respond version 16.85 in unknown version of Mac OS

Anonymous
2024-05-17T19:39:47+00:00

Split from this thread.

Exactly the same problem here:

  1. Problem appears after update to Version 16.85 (24051214) Microsoft® Word for Mac
  2. Problem is linked to spellchecker: any use of it triggers this complete freeze. Note that spellchecker can very easily be triggered incidentally, as shown in image above from Charles M1: The spelling popup balloon already crashes Word.
  3. The only way to stop the programme is through a Force Quit. Microsoft Word gets completely stuck, as described previously. To great despair, restarting Word does not trigger the usual Recovery and everything is lost. I could not locate any recovery file.
  4. It has nothing to do with OneDrive: the Word document was not located on OneDrive nor being synced through OneDrive. Completely shutting down OneDrive does not resolve the issue, it still happens..

So the problem seems to be directly caused by some change in the spelling module in the latest Word version for Mac.

Sincerely, Stan

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2024-06-11T19:54:41+00:00

After the issue was reported in the forums, Microsoft recognized that this was a bug in Office for Mac. See the reply by Jim Gordon on the first page of the long thread at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-is-lagging-on-my-mac/a520fea1-564f-4118-b73b-ada1d8a0e9ef.

As far as I know, nobody has suggested that Apple was to blame for this.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-19T11:09:23+00:00

    I gave it a go first on my laptop and then my iMac and it worked - on both i am still signed in with my work address. Thanks for the tips

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-21T03:06:39+00:00

    I have the same problem and have reinstalled word but still no joy, i have university assessmenst due so it it is extremely stressful

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-21T13:45:10+00:00

    Hi Lisa, Yes, I think it's a problem between the latest upgrade in the iOS system and the latest upgrade in the Word software. I did everything and it worked really great for a couple of days but now I am back to square one. It just makes me - I don't want to say sick, because I don't want to really get sick over something like this, but you'd think that the people in charge on both sides would get together and try and resolve this. We're paying for a product and they don't give a ......... I am trying to get my book together for publication, I had a deadline and man this is sooo discouraging. Good Luck. I am going to try one last time to uninstall and reinstall today. At least it works for about half an hour before it stalls. All the best to you and let's hope someone in charge is trying to resolve this because no one accept the amateurs like us seem to be offering advise. Keep your fingers crossed. Let me know if you hear of anything. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-21T21:08:14+00:00

    Hi,

    I fixed it by uninstalling word and installing an earlier version then turning off automatic updates!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments