Word is slow to respond version 16.85 in unknown version of Mac OS

Anonymous
2024-05-17T19:39:47+00:00

Split from this thread.

Exactly the same problem here:

  1. Problem appears after update to Version 16.85 (24051214) Microsoft® Word for Mac
  2. Problem is linked to spellchecker: any use of it triggers this complete freeze. Note that spellchecker can very easily be triggered incidentally, as shown in image above from Charles M1: The spelling popup balloon already crashes Word.
  3. The only way to stop the programme is through a Force Quit. Microsoft Word gets completely stuck, as described previously. To great despair, restarting Word does not trigger the usual Recovery and everything is lost. I could not locate any recovery file.
  4. It has nothing to do with OneDrive: the Word document was not located on OneDrive nor being synced through OneDrive. Completely shutting down OneDrive does not resolve the issue, it still happens..

So the problem seems to be directly caused by some change in the spelling module in the latest Word version for Mac.

Sincerely, Stan

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2024-06-11T19:54:41+00:00

After the issue was reported in the forums, Microsoft recognized that this was a bug in Office for Mac. See the reply by Jim Gordon on the first page of the long thread at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-is-lagging-on-my-mac/a520fea1-564f-4118-b73b-ada1d8a0e9ef.

As far as I know, nobody has suggested that Apple was to blame for this.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-11T19:38:16+00:00

    Agree Charles, this is a case where the provider of the software is not sufficiently humbled by their world dominance or the fact that the software should operate across operating systems, also NOT windows.

    I am so so worn out from navigating in an extreme world of app updates harassing me on a regular basis across applications that all, unfortunately, have become essential, ranging from outlook, powerpoint, powerBI, Sharepoint, Teams, over Word, Excel and the likes.

    It is so frustrating and annoying that we all are in the hands of app developers that do not apply constant care to their ongoing updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-11T10:41:51+00:00

    Hello Charlotte,

    Last Saturday I made a trip to the 'Genius Bar' at the Apple store. The guy was amazing. For 3 weeks I have been crying and pulling my hair. I did everything I was told, I ran diagnostics, I cleaned and trashed a lot. This man at the apple store furthered the process by even dumping more files, stuff I had no idea was there and never would have found. We reinstalled an earlier version. I got home and it still didn't work. A day later I got up all my nerve and installed all the updates. It now works! You should be ok now.

    I asked him who is responsible for this, Microsoft or Apple? He told me it is always the responsibility of the application to conform to the operating system. Mac iOS does not have to conform their system to Microsoft, it goes the other way. Otherwise, iOS would constantly be running around to fix their system for a dozen applications. I find it a little discouraging that this took so long for Microsoft to fix. It made me want to find an alternative. Good luck, and sorry to hear about your students. All the best!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-11T08:17:12+00:00

    Dear Charlotte, I understand your thoughts on this, but it was fixed after a few days and has worked flawlessly on my three computers ever since.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-11T04:44:24+00:00

    Thanks John. Will try and hope for the best. After all, this stupid bug meant that Danish students at their written exams all have to go to reexamination after the summer break (so they will technically not graduate yet). This is literally a very stupid and careless mistake from Microsoft with severe implications. So I am a bit cautions as to just follow MS instructions on updating again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments