All MSFT Excel files are opening with this prompt - "this file has been renamed we recommend saving it now to get the new name" Nothing has been changed - how do I stop this from happening?

Anonymous
2024-03-20T01:55:54+00:00

"This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

My version is up to date and it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-26T16:40:41+00:00

    Hi, I now when I want to work on an Excel spreadsheet pause Onedrive and save the spreadsheet when I have finished. It then updates when Onedrive becomes active. I have been doing this for a while now and it works without any problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-28T02:11:26+00:00

    The same problem started happening to me today. Weird messages about the file name changing. When I try to refresh a pivot table based on a range within the same file it's trying to find the data in another unrelated file.

    I found that if I copy the file to my C: drive it works OK. This defeats the purpose of paying money to MS to store my data on OneDrive.

    It's really disappointing (disgusting) that there have been no responses from MS in this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-28T22:36:38+00:00

    I have the latest version of Windows 11 and the latest version of Office 365. This error starting occurring on my computer on September 26, 2024. I have unistalled Office 365 and One Drive and installed them, but it does not help. I only have this problem in Excel and it affects all my files, regardless of when I initially saved them. Excel is now completely useless to me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-01T00:25:57+00:00

    Exactly why are we paying for something we cannot use and MSFT won't even respond.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-01T00:29:32+00:00

    I stopped using OneDrive. What irks me is that we are paying for something. I hold all my files in the D drive and have set the system so that it only starts a file in D drive. You have experienced the problem with Excel I had it also in Word. Will MSFT ever look at the commentary on this subject and take action to stop it happening. I have lost so much trust in MSFT.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments