All MSFT Excel files are opening with this prompt - "this file has been renamed we recommend saving it now to get the new name" Nothing has been changed - how do I stop this from happening?

Anonymous
2024-03-20T01:55:54+00:00

"This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

My version is up to date and it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-19T02:14:06+00:00

    Thank you for the information!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-11T02:55:49+00:00

    "This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

    My version is up to date and it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

    I am in the same bucket, can you please advice how to get this fixed. Also I am getting the same issues with MS word aslo.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-11T07:34:48+00:00

    I have found a work around that seems to be working. I now turn off the synch while working on excel spreadsheets and saving them manually. When I switch the synch back on it then works normally and updates to the cloud.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-16T08:43:40+00:00

    Same issue here...anyone know how to solve?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-26T15:26:26+00:00

    I just want to add my name to the list of people with this same problem. It is highly irritating. I may try turning One Drive off or pausing it to see if that works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments