All MSFT Excel files are opening with this prompt - "this file has been renamed we recommend saving it now to get the new name" Nothing has been changed - how do I stop this from happening?

Anonymous
2024-03-20T01:55:54+00:00

"This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

My version is up to date and it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-06T13:44:34+00:00

    yes, it only worked until the next edit/save cycle :(. Still not clear to me if this is a bug or a one drive setting. If it is a bug, then why aren't millions of people having this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-04T14:07:57+00:00

    I have tried that but it simply does not work. I was told Microsoft were issuing an update last week but that has not happened. I have had to unlink OneDrive to continue working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-04T13:38:51+00:00

    I may have found a solution. This is working for me (at the moment). Unlink and re-link OneDrive - Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-07T00:16:35+00:00

    I am the same. Trying to dump Onedrive and stick to old fashioned hard drive only. Why do we pay an annual subscription to MST when there are flaws and there is absolutely no response? I have tried the contact tech support way but have heard nothing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-05T06:54:00+00:00

    Silence from Microsoft is deafening.

    Something changed recently and it is tied up with OneDrive and the "d.docs.live.net".

    Does MS even look at the comments.

    I have just lost my most valuable spreadsheet which was supposed to be safe on OneDrive. Quite a number of financial records.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments