All MSFT Excel files are opening with this prompt - "this file has been renamed we recommend saving it now to get the new name" Nothing has been changed - how do I stop this from happening?

Anonymous
2024-03-20T01:55:54+00:00

"This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

My version is up to date and it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-19T01:24:23+00:00

    It's happening on Windows 10 as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-18T17:03:42+00:00

    Thank you for the information. Its good to have. I am glad to have found this thread!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-18T16:55:39+00:00

    Sorry to convey the bad news I have a Windows 10 computer that is too old to update to Windows 11.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-18T16:41:26+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestion and that should work as a temporary fix, but yes unfortunate. I wonder if this is a Windows 11 problem? We have a Windows 10 computer that is too old to update and does not have any of these issues when we tested it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-18T10:18:24+00:00

    Totally agree that MS do not care or want to understand/own their mistakes. I doubt they even read the community messaging hoping that the community will solve the MS issues. It is about time MS listened AND acted to fix problems as well as communicating that they have seen the issue and are working on the issue and have resolved the issue. Why am I paying for rubbish programming?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments