All MSFT Excel files are opening with this prompt - "this file has been renamed we recommend saving it now to get the new name" Nothing has been changed - how do I stop this from happening?

Anonymous
2024-03-20T01:55:54+00:00

"This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

My version is up to date and it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-18T01:13:21+00:00

    I am having the exact issues...so frustrating and I will check back with this thread. My husband is a computer programmer and never has seen such craziness.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-09T11:00:51+00:00

    Agreed. I've never had any issues with google drive and use it for anything I can where MS isn't required because of work or clients. I've now moved my One Drive back to thumb drive(s).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-09T10:01:49+00:00

    But what is MSFT doing about it. I have abandoned OneDrive and am back to creating and saving files on my PC. The ONLY thing I allow on OneDrive is a backup, but I take belts and braces backup to hard drive. I have lost all confidence in MSFT and its ability to manage software.

    I don't believe MSFT listen to anything the community raises.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-08T12:51:00+00:00

    Near as I can tell - we are. A quick search shows LOTS of this, much of it (like this post) going back years.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-04T14:07:57+00:00

    I have tried that but it simply does not work. I was told Microsoft were issuing an update last week but that has not happened. I have had to unlink OneDrive to continue working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments