All MSFT Excel files are opening with this prompt - "this file has been renamed we recommend saving it now to get the new name" Nothing has been changed - how do I stop this from happening?

Anonymous
2024-03-20T01:55:54+00:00

"This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

My version is up to date and it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-07T00:16:35+00:00

    I am the same. Trying to dump Onedrive and stick to old fashioned hard drive only. Why do we pay an annual subscription to MST when there are flaws and there is absolutely no response? I have tried the contact tech support way but have heard nothing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-04T23:21:19+00:00

    Yes, I started having the very same problem today. When is Microsoft going to fix this? I have had it with OneDrive and have come to detest it. I'm ready to go back to backing up my files on a solid state external drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-24T17:18:59+00:00

    I thought I was the only one who noticed these changes. I tried to edit a document that I last edited 2 months ago and I'm getting these exact same issues about how someone else has changed the name, but nobody else but me has access to the document. At no point ever have I changed the name of my document, and excel is also not showing me the file's name at the top.

    To say that this is really frusting and irritating is putting it midly since this has been driving me insane. Microsoft needs to fix this issue ASAP if they don't want people to switch to competing platforms.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-30T11:46:13+00:00

    Also following this. Exactly the same is happening here. It is really disruptive to keep having to create copies of documents then try to keep track of what it is now called. MICROSOFT needs to fix this before their reputation and the public trust in one drive goes to one of their many competitors.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-28T00:27:22+00:00

    Following this. I'm running into the same issue in both Word and Excel - Microsoft 365.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments