All MSFT Excel files are opening with this prompt - "this file has been renamed we recommend saving it now to get the new name" Nothing has been changed - how do I stop this from happening?

Anonymous
2024-03-20T01:55:54+00:00

"This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

My version is up to date and it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-04T13:38:51+00:00

    I may have found a solution. This is working for me (at the moment). Unlink and re-link OneDrive - Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T03:40:41+00:00

    "This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

    This has been going on for a few weeks. Something has changed in the software. Microsoft force us to "onedrive" and then make it impossible to save locally only. I prefer my files to be local not available to the world. I have so many copies of the same file because I just cannot get rid of this message to rename etc etc etc. I had an additional message which stated that I was using a disallowed nae on a file, like a "-". I corrected that and only saved one tab of my file and it seemed to work for a day or two but no we are back again to this message. I also don't like the idea that up in the top left hand side the name of the file appeared now it just says "Excel" or "Word" no file name. Why is Microsoft frustrating us and making things so complicated. Life was meant to be easier not complicated. What is this d.docs.live.net and how come in only the last few weeks my files are invalid. Now I cannot even save the file and all my changes have been lost.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-20T22:16:31+00:00

    All of my Excel files that I have opened. There were no changes. I saved them the day before or even weeks or months before and then I had this problem with them. I haven't tried creating a new file yet. I will have to because a file that I use daily is now gone totally. It's going to take a lot to reproduce this file. I did the repair yesterday. I think something went really wrong in the synching of OneDrive. I found the deleted file on an external drive I have. Of course this backup was from 7/2/2022. When I saved it to OneDrive, I received the same messages. It is my understanding, that OneDrive is basically The Cloud?

    I found my deleted Excel file in my trash bin. I moved all my documents from OneDrive to my computers C: and then opened them from there and there were no issues. So my problem seems to be with OneDrive not my Excel software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-20T20:12:15+00:00

    We have been having exactly the same issues today.

    If I save the excel files as the old 97-2003 format I can open them and work in them, but on the excel workbook we seem to be going round in circles. I can open the old format excel files just fine. It seems to be the excel workbook files only that are affected.

    I have tried saving the file as a different name, but it is still happened.

    Have exactly the same messages as the previous user, Sarah and also the d.docs.live.net as Christine.

    I first noticed it about a month ago, but now it has just got so much worse. Every file you open seems to have the same issue.

    Glad to hear I am not the only one- I have been trying to resolve this issue since my husband had it at around 11am BST today. It is driving us crazy and wishing we still had an an the machine version of excel rather than the subscription one. Never had this issue on the old machine in 10 years.

    Me thinks then that something has been going on with either excel on the subscription version, or if anyone else uses one drive for backup and something has been moved around??

    It seems to be strange that we all have the same issue, especially when we haven't changed the name or moved anything around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-19T16:39:57+00:00

    Same issue as all above. None of the "answers" solve the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments