MS To Do frequent crashing.

Anonymous
2024-01-08T16:24:15+00:00

I am a longtime user of the To Do app – since the Wunder list days. For months now the app crashes on my iPad multiple times throughout the day. I’m just sitting there looking at it and it goes away, then needs to be relaunched. At the same time it crashes the homepage widgets, like Weather, etc. all seem to reset as well. I have done absolutely every bit of cleanup you can think of – and apps are up-to-date, apps, closed down and iPad rebooted, ToDo reinstalled, plenty of storage, etc. etc. etc. please help me understand what I can do to fix this. It’s an essential app for me and really disappointing that this goes on . iPad model MK2P3LL/A, iOS 17.2, To Do version 2.112 Build 231222.1358

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft To Do | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-12T17:46:17+00:00

    i have the same issue, has anyone found the solution? guru seems to have gone quiet looking through the thread

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-19T17:18:56+00:00

    Hello everyone,

    this issue was a nasty one. However, I might have a workaround, not fixing the bug, but eliminating the cause.

    First, check if the following characteristics apply for your situation:

    AFFECTED SYSTEMS AND HARDWARE

    ToDo on iOS and iPadOS, all running on latest versions.

    STEPS TO REPRODUCE

    start up To Do, wait, crash occurs after 30-120 seconds

    BEHAVIOR

    There is an immediate generation of heat on the affected device after starting To Do that culminates in a crash of the app.

    And now the possible solution:

    1. Delete To Do app and its data from all of your iOS/iPadOS devices
    2. Now, do some house cleaning in your data
      1. Log into your Microsoft account on the web and navigate to your To Do web application
      2. Delete all completed tasks (depending on how long and how viciously you have been using To Do, that may be a few thousand).
      3. If you are using M365 and Planner, go to the Planner web application and delete all plans that you don't use anymore. Also, delete all completed tasks in plans that are still active.
    3. Restart your devices and reinstall ToDo. It should only synchronize your active tasks (either from To Do or Planner)

    If you still got crash problems, delete plans from Planner that are particularly old (in that case it's best to create new plans and migrate active tasks there). I am recommending this, because I started having problems with To Do after I started using Planner again after a couple of years. I had some derelict plans in there, which were not syncing properly anymore.

    POSSIBLE CAUSE:

    I noticed that To Do began generating an unusual amount of heat right after startup. This might be a sign of some sort of indexing operation, which may cause a memory leak if it's badly implemented. Upon a memory leak the app crashes or it's terminated by iOS or iPadOS, respectively. So in order to reduce the load on the badly implemented indexing operation, I deleted everything I don't need anymore.

    Note that deleting obsolete tasks without reinstalling the app does not necessarily work. Even that data is deleted on the server, there seems to be mess remaining in the application cache causing the app to crash over and over again. So it's imperative to clean the data on the server and delete the app from your target devices (iPhones and iPads) to get a clean slate.

    CLOSING WORDS:

    It took me about 2 weeks to figure this out, but up to now, To Do has not crahed for 4 days in a row. It's still a bit early to celebrate, but the indication is good.

    I hope this helps any other To Do users that are having crash issues, too.

    Cheers,

    Robert

    This seems to have done the trick for me - when I uninstalled I also removed it from the icloud account completely so it forced a completely fresh install from the app store - seems to be a different version as the settings options have changed on the new one it installed which is odd since it should have auto updated to any new versions.

    Fingers crossed it lasts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-14T19:59:12+00:00

    To everyone on this thread,

    Since Microsoft seems to not be monitoring this thread anymore, I have started a new thread in an attempt to get Microsoft’s attention about this issue. In that thread, I posted a link to this thread. However, if anyone would be so inclined as to go to that thread and comment again, maybe we can get Microsoft’s attention. I’ve linked to that thread below.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/attempt-number-2-to-get-microsoft-to-notice-that/52ced389-d99a-4937-993b-2b5c7f5e63e3

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-07T16:33:27+00:00

    Unfortunately app crashes again …. My happiness was a bit short :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-16T23:43:43+00:00

    Hello there,

    We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com)

    Respectfully,

    Bryll

    Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments