Screen time feature not working on Family Safety

Anonymous
2023-12-29T03:31:26+00:00

The device is a PC with Windows 11. Device added to and shows up for family member on Family Safety App. Web and Search feature works but Screen Time is not. The device is shown as No Usage. When I initially set up the PC, I had my kid as the Administrator but then changed him to standard user and myself as the Administrator. It seems like once I made that change is when the Screen Time feature stop working. I tried to remove him from Family and re-adding him back in. This did not work. Also tried installing updates and rebooting but nothing works. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this issue. Trying to figure out if it is a setting on my side that can be fixed or if it is just a bug on MS side. I have a Norton Anti-Virus but I don’t think this would be the root of the cause.

Thanks

CT

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft Family Safety | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T11:23:48+00:00

    Mine has stopped working since Wednesday too! My son's usage is not visible to me. Didn't know this was a global thing!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T19:51:33+00:00

    I have absolutely the same issue. Since Wednesday 25th of September I do not see usage of the Windows PC by my son nor daughter. I tried to check Family Safety app on mobile phone as well as app installed in my account on the same PC.

    When I add additional time using the mobile app, it does not reflect on the PC and locks it. Just after my son log out and log in again and wait few minutes, the PC will unlock.

    It is frustrating and mostly for my son, when he play a game and he is almost at the end and the PC locks.

    Dear Microsoft developers, please fix this. It used to work perfectly before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-28T01:41:14+00:00

    OH MY GOSH - I am so glad I'm reading this... I am not kidding when I tell you I spend 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft Support today (who found nothing wrong) AND because it's been bugging me, I've spent the last 3 DAYS prior trying EVERYTHING I can find on any help site - even reddit!

    I'm pulling my hair out - for me it stopped last Saturday (Sept. 22).

    My kid is VERY creative and has figured out how to disarm every system we tried (using ghost OS, VPN, you name it - I torn between proud and pissed off).

    So we went back to family since its free with the understanding I will spot check at any time. He swore to me up and down that he didn't bypass it - and I guess he was telling the truth.

    My problem seems to be a slightly different "flavor" but I'm certain it's all related... Oddly enough the device time limits ARE being enforced and I CAN add more time when needed, but despite I watched him play video games for an hour today, the screen time shows 0 minutes and the "App and Games" tab doesn't register any time either.

    MICROSOFT - FIX YOUR %#$!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-28T09:01:00+00:00

    Same here. All usage stopped appearing on Wednesday 25th Sep. Have pretty much the same issues as others describe here. Screen time function of Family Safety working but stuck at previously set limit, can be adjusted in Family Safety app and website, but no usage showing, so has no effect. Once locked, can be unlocked for extra time, but only via a request, not via adjusting the limits ahead of time. This is fundamentally broken functionality.

    Further up this thread people seem to have had success fixing some issues by checking the "Parental Controls Service" is running in Windows. Can anyone confirm how to check this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-28T09:01:37+00:00

    How do you do this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments