Screen time feature not working on Family Safety

Anonymous
2023-12-29T03:31:26+00:00

The device is a PC with Windows 11. Device added to and shows up for family member on Family Safety App. Web and Search feature works but Screen Time is not. The device is shown as No Usage. When I initially set up the PC, I had my kid as the Administrator but then changed him to standard user and myself as the Administrator. It seems like once I made that change is when the Screen Time feature stop working. I tried to remove him from Family and re-adding him back in. This did not work. Also tried installing updates and rebooting but nothing works. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this issue. Trying to figure out if it is a setting on my side that can be fixed or if it is just a bug on MS side. I have a Norton Anti-Virus but I don’t think this would be the root of the cause.

Thanks

CT

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft Family Safety | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Bill Yuen 700 Reputation points
    2023-12-29T07:29:39+00:00

    Hi CT,

    Thanks for your question. My name is Bill and I am happy to help. It seems you've covered some good troubleshooting steps already. Let's see if we can figure this out together.

    Given the change in user roles, it might be worth checking a few things:

    1. User Permissions: Ensure that your kid's account is set up with the appropriate permissions. Even though you changed him to a standard user, there might be some lingering settings causing the Screen Time feature not to function as expected.
    2. Parental Controls: Double-check the parental control settings for your kid's account. Confirm that the Screen Time feature is enabled and configured correctly. Sometimes, these settings can be a bit finicky.
    3. Norton Anti-Virus: While it's less likely, antivirus software can sometimes interfere with certain features. Temporarily disabling Norton to see if it makes a difference could help rule out this possibility.
    4. Family Safety App: Ensure that both the PC and the Family Safety App are using the latest versions. An outdated app might not sync properly with the changes you made to user roles.

    Try these out and let me know how it goes. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-29T16:28:20+00:00

    Thanks for your response. I’ve tried all of your suggestions but still no luck. I even tried to remove the device and him as a family member and adding him back on. I changed the device’s name and did notice it was also changed on the App (App is on IOS). I did a test web search and that feature still works but no screen time monitoring. The only other thing I can think of is to delete his profile on the PC and adding him back into account as a user.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-08T10:36:17+00:00

    Same issue but I've always been the admin and it previously worked but stopped a few weeks ago for no obvious reason. Worse yet the original downtime limits still kick in but I've no ability to provide extra time

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-12T23:54:11+00:00

    Same. I'm the admin. Kids are standard users. no changes made. App no longer registers screen time or granting more. tried unstalling app and reistalling. Think MS has another issue and hope they willl resolve here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-13T01:04:13+00:00

    To find out, my kid had the pin to the admin account and used it to uncheck parental control in system configuration. I would check that setting. Hope that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments