Screen time feature not working on Family Safety

Anonymous
2023-12-29T03:31:26+00:00

The device is a PC with Windows 11. Device added to and shows up for family member on Family Safety App. Web and Search feature works but Screen Time is not. The device is shown as No Usage. When I initially set up the PC, I had my kid as the Administrator but then changed him to standard user and myself as the Administrator. It seems like once I made that change is when the Screen Time feature stop working. I tried to remove him from Family and re-adding him back in. This did not work. Also tried installing updates and rebooting but nothing works. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this issue. Trying to figure out if it is a setting on my side that can be fixed or if it is just a bug on MS side. I have a Norton Anti-Virus but I don’t think this would be the root of the cause.

Thanks

CT

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft Family Safety | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-28T01:41:14+00:00

    OH MY GOSH - I am so glad I'm reading this... I am not kidding when I tell you I spend 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft Support today (who found nothing wrong) AND because it's been bugging me, I've spent the last 3 DAYS prior trying EVERYTHING I can find on any help site - even reddit!

    I'm pulling my hair out - for me it stopped last Saturday (Sept. 22).

    My kid is VERY creative and has figured out how to disarm every system we tried (using ghost OS, VPN, you name it - I torn between proud and pissed off).

    So we went back to family since its free with the understanding I will spot check at any time. He swore to me up and down that he didn't bypass it - and I guess he was telling the truth.

    My problem seems to be a slightly different "flavor" but I'm certain it's all related... Oddly enough the device time limits ARE being enforced and I CAN add more time when needed, but despite I watched him play video games for an hour today, the screen time shows 0 minutes and the "App and Games" tab doesn't register any time either.

    MICROSOFT - FIX YOUR %#$!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T19:51:33+00:00

    I have absolutely the same issue. Since Wednesday 25th of September I do not see usage of the Windows PC by my son nor daughter. I tried to check Family Safety app on mobile phone as well as app installed in my account on the same PC.

    When I add additional time using the mobile app, it does not reflect on the PC and locks it. Just after my son log out and log in again and wait few minutes, the PC will unlock.

    It is frustrating and mostly for my son, when he play a game and he is almost at the end and the PC locks.

    Dear Microsoft developers, please fix this. It used to work perfectly before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T11:23:48+00:00

    Mine has stopped working since Wednesday too! My son's usage is not visible to me. Didn't know this was a global thing!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T08:07:14+00:00

    MS Family Safety appears to be completely broken at the moment. There are reports from others saying it's not even blocking mature content. I'm no longer getting any activity logs since Tuesday 24th. Despite this fact, the kids profiles are causing the internet to slow to a crawl. It's worrying that nobody from Microsoft seems to be replying, how do we escalate this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-26T11:55:13+00:00

    Sorry, no help here. My original problem resolved on its own. I did nothing. Then this week a new problem started. The actual usage from the kids is not being reported on the parent App, although the child was locked at the appropriate time. And now I am unable to increase the limit. I can add extra time on the parent app, but kids computer doesn't recognize it and stays locked. This is a new issue, I've done in many times in the past without a problem. Tried rebooting several times, but no luck.

    For example parent app reports 15 mins used out of 1 hour. (However kid actually used 1 hour and is locked) I increase available time to 2 hours, however kid stays locked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments