Excel 365 (Online) - User not able to edit unlocked cells on protected sheet

Anonymous
2023-12-18T07:03:05+00:00

We have a team working on Excel files online (in the browser). The files:

  • are stored on an internal SharePoint site
  • accessed/edited in the browser (default is Chrome)
  • have been made using Excel 365 desktop version and uploaded to SharePoint

I have one user who randomly cannot edit unlocked cells on a protected sheet, receiving the error message "This sheet is protected. Some parts may be view-only and can't be changed". The unlocked cells are surrounded by locked cells, and some of the unlocked cells are merged. The issue could appear when opening a file and then not be present when the file is opened again later. It is not specific to any particular file; it can happen to any file.

It's interesting to note that all other users with the same permissions can simultaneously work on these files without the issue, even while the user in question is experiencing the block/issue. Also, the user is able to edit cells with the same protection set up on other sheets, but could later be blocked on these same sheets when re-opening the file at another time. Recreating this issue is not consistent.

The cells locked/unlocked property has been set via 'Protection' tab in the 'Format Cells' dialog in Excel desktop. The sheet's protection has also been set in the desktop app.

I have tried:

  • Removing and re-instating specific cell protection via the user's device when they have this issue present
  • Un-merging protected cells and then re-enabling protection
  • Using other devices with the user's login/account (Apple Mac and iPad) and browsers (Edge, Safari)
  • Removing and re-adding the user to the required permissions group on the SharePoint site

Any ideas for why this particular user may be experiencing this issue?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-20T16:15:49+00:00

    We have the same issue. We are forcing users to run 'Open in app' option to avoid this. Our workbooks are not protected, the worksheets are. All users are receiving the same error message when they run it on browser. If they run the workbooks on the application, no issues at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-20T17:17:15+00:00

    We are having the same issue. Shared worksheets cannot be edited online, but opening it in the Desktop App allows it to be edited. This problem does not appear to be on the user side, it seems like an Excel Online bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-20T17:18:37+00:00

    We are having the same issue, Started on December 17th, previously working for about 2 years. Opening in full version of excel is the only way to use the file reliably.

    It seems that dragging and dropping data seems to be a trigger.

    I have defined ranges that allow changes in "manage protections" but the ranges will change randomly and change some cells back to protected.

    edit: reloading the webpage or restarting the browser will sometimes correct the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-20T18:04:15+00:00

    Hello,

    Any word on fixing this bug? As other members stated, not everyone has the option to work on the desktop version of Excel, and I have many many guest contributors that work live on the files I've shared with them.

    Is Microsoft working on solving the issue? I love Excel, and the files I have created, but it is not feasible to use SharePoint if the information shared in the original Excel file does not translate accordingly to the online version.

    As an additional comment, and since companies are always in search for feedback, I have noticed since I initially used SharePoint that they were very valuable features in the desktop version of Excel that are just not present on the online version. For example, the locking or unlocking of cells thru the right click of the mouse on the cell, protection, and lock or unlock, vs having to create a bunch of "ranges" to unprotect, but also not being able to protect if it was not protected already in the original file. The inability to change the header in the online version, etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-20T18:39:42+00:00

    I am having the same issue. All of the sudden, I am unable to enter data in certain cells, it seems to be skipping every other line. I am using Excel 365. I have tried to edit multiple workbooks with the same outcome. I NEED this resolved please!! It is preventing me from being able to invoice a very big project.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments