A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
We are facing the same issue with unlocked cells being un editable when any portion of the worksheet has protections in the web version of excel.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
We have a team working on Excel files online (in the browser). The files:
I have one user who randomly cannot edit unlocked cells on a protected sheet, receiving the error message "This sheet is protected. Some parts may be view-only and can't be changed". The unlocked cells are surrounded by locked cells, and some of the unlocked cells are merged. The issue could appear when opening a file and then not be present when the file is opened again later. It is not specific to any particular file; it can happen to any file.
It's interesting to note that all other users with the same permissions can simultaneously work on these files without the issue, even while the user in question is experiencing the block/issue. Also, the user is able to edit cells with the same protection set up on other sheets, but could later be blocked on these same sheets when re-opening the file at another time. Recreating this issue is not consistent.
The cells locked/unlocked property has been set via 'Protection' tab in the 'Format Cells' dialog in Excel desktop. The sheet's protection has also been set in the desktop app.
I have tried:
Any ideas for why this particular user may be experiencing this issue?
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
We are facing the same issue with unlocked cells being un editable when any portion of the worksheet has protections in the web version of excel.
Yet another joining in on the same thing. Editing in the desktop version usually works, but always opens in read-only and half the time doesn't have the yellow bar to allow it to be edited. We have staff that aren't great with technology, so asking them to follow multiple steps, some of which need to be repeated just to function correctly, is unreasonable.
The feature is built into Excel, and Microsoft wants to have it all usable in SharePoint but they aren't even acknowledging this is a problem is absurd. It's not even listed as a bug or as an issue, so I wonder if anyone is even doing anything about this.
Have the same problem, it only started in the last two days. It is crucial for us for this to be resolved. would you please advise what to do
I am having the same issue. All of the sudden, I am unable to enter data in certain cells, it seems to be skipping every other line. I am using Excel 365. I have tried to edit multiple workbooks with the same outcome. I NEED this resolved please!! It is preventing me from being able to invoice a very big project.
Hello,
Any word on fixing this bug? As other members stated, not everyone has the option to work on the desktop version of Excel, and I have many many guest contributors that work live on the files I've shared with them.
Is Microsoft working on solving the issue? I love Excel, and the files I have created, but it is not feasible to use SharePoint if the information shared in the original Excel file does not translate accordingly to the online version.
As an additional comment, and since companies are always in search for feedback, I have noticed since I initially used SharePoint that they were very valuable features in the desktop version of Excel that are just not present on the online version. For example, the locking or unlocking of cells thru the right click of the mouse on the cell, protection, and lock or unlock, vs having to create a bunch of "ranges" to unprotect, but also not being able to protect if it was not protected already in the original file. The inability to change the header in the online version, etc.