Publisher giving Error 400 code?

Anonymous
2024-01-26T22:15:49+00:00

When I try to hit the pictures icon on publisher in the "Home" header to add a picture to something the window comes up saying:
"Bad Request- Request too Long. Http Error 400. the size of the request headers is too long."
If I go to insert at the top of the page and click picture there it will work for uploading pictures from my computer.
I made sure office is updated but not sure how to fix this.
Help please?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Publisher | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-27T13:19:25+00:00

    When you try to insert a picture via the Home tab, Publisher attempts to open a dialog where you can choose both online and local options. I believe it is choking on trying to find the online options via a Bing search and/or from a cache of pictures you have saved to One-Drive.

    If you want to insert a picture located on your computer or even a USB drive or other external hard drive, the better work flow is to go to the Insert tab > the Illustrations group and select Pictures there. Then you won't choke Publisher trying to make the internet connection. And the Online options are also available...

    In my view you should never try to insert a picture directly from an online source to begin with. Best practices in my opinion is to always save that picture to your local hard drive and insert from there. That way you have a copy of the picture if you need to use it again, edit it before you insert it. Further you are far less likely to corrupt the picture or the Publisher publication by trying to insert directly from the internet source.

    If you insist on inserting pictures directly from OneDrive then this article may be helpful in resolving the problem you are having.

    Insert Online Picture or Video: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/unable-to-access-onedrive-from-insert-online-picture-or-video-265e1fed-7e61-4a22-b8ff-52c1dccc101d?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

    DavidF

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-01T09:01:46+00:00

    I am trying to create a custom border and get the same response - Bad Request - Header too long. HTTP ERROR 400. I am trying to find a picture from my own files to create the custom border. I think there is an issue with Publisher in creating custom borders in Windows 11 and it thinks I want to go online. I do not. I have never seen this issue and I have been creating my own borders for years, with great success.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-01T22:50:24+00:00

    Receiving a similar error when trying to change a picture with something else on the machine. When selecting change picture on the existing image and select to replace from their computer, this is when we get the following error. Bad Request - Request too long; HTTP Error 400: The size of the request is too long.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-01T22:59:21+00:00

    Receiving a similar error when trying to change a picture with something else on the machine. When selecting change picture on the existing image and select to replace from their computer, this is when we get the following error. Bad Request - Request too long; HTTP Error 400: The size of the request is too long.

    Me as well. But I don't even GET to the place where I can see the folders from which to choose the new picture. I get the error at the time of selecting change a picture.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T14:00:23+00:00

    The same here!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments