Can't add pictures as new bullets in MS Word. Bad Request-Request too long

Anonymous
2024-01-27T20:46:13+00:00

When I try to add pictures to define a new bullet it shows "Bad Request - Request too long / HTTP Error 400. The size of the request headers is too long."

It doesn't matter if I do it from the bullet button in the ribbon, or defining a new list style. I don't have that problem when adding a regular picture or even icons.

I've tried:

  1. Deleting the ListGal.dat file as suggested in another post
  2. Replacing the Normal.dot global template file as suggested in the same post
  3. Clearing the officefilecache folder
  4. Going offline (the same window appears but blank)
  5. Repairing through the Windows repair option

I'm on Windows 11, using the desktop app. I was using MS Word version 2312 (Build 17126.20132), and just before writing this post I checked for updates again (I had already tried a few days back with no success) and it actually updated to Version 2401 (Build 17231.20084). I opened Word the Bad Request didn't appear. I opened a new file and tried again and the message came up again!

I hope I gave enough information!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-06T00:09:39+00:00
    • 1 having same issues

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-07T16:55:29+00:00

    Same issue occurs when I go to digitally sign a document. When I go to select a signature image I get the same message. There was a day that it was temporarily fixed, but now it is doing it every time. I'm assuming the underlying problem is the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-25T00:06:01+00:00

    I have this same issue now

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-02-25T00:10:41+00:00

    This is likely related to this problem:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/cant-add-pictures-as-new-bullets-in-ms-word-bad/007b9e1e-e60c-4fef-b2d9-8055b750863c

    Do read all of the posts in this (the current) thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-25T00:20:43+00:00

    I did. I dont see a solution. Must be a problem in Microsofts end.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments