Can't add pictures as new bullets in MS Word. Bad Request-Request too long

Anonymous
2024-01-27T20:46:13+00:00

When I try to add pictures to define a new bullet it shows "Bad Request - Request too long / HTTP Error 400. The size of the request headers is too long."

It doesn't matter if I do it from the bullet button in the ribbon, or defining a new list style. I don't have that problem when adding a regular picture or even icons.

I've tried:

  1. Deleting the ListGal.dat file as suggested in another post
  2. Replacing the Normal.dot global template file as suggested in the same post
  3. Clearing the officefilecache folder
  4. Going offline (the same window appears but blank)
  5. Repairing through the Windows repair option

I'm on Windows 11, using the desktop app. I was using MS Word version 2312 (Build 17126.20132), and just before writing this post I checked for updates again (I had already tried a few days back with no success) and it actually updated to Version 2401 (Build 17231.20084). I opened Word the Bad Request didn't appear. I opened a new file and tried again and the message came up again!

I hope I gave enough information!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-04T12:36:53+00:00

    I encountered the same issue yesterday and found a solution in this thread (reply from Warren Knape):

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/what-would-cause-http-error-400-when-trying-to/1726c8f6-fb2d-445a-82f4-5ea444ac6373

    Here is what worked for me:

    1. Close all Word documents
    2. Navigate to *%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Office\16.0* -> rename the "Wef" folder to "Wef_old"
    3. Re-open the Word document and try again

    (4. If this doesn't help, consider clearing the Office cache)

    I hope this helps you too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-28T01:39:50+00:00

    This issue has been reported to the Word team and is being investigated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-28T15:24:44+00:00

    Thank you, it seems to be fixed (for now!)

    Jan 29 update: not working again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T01:06:51+00:00

    I am having the same issue. How do we fix this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-29T20:31:15+00:00

    +1 I have the same issue and tested exactly the sam

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments