A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
That's absolutely my opinion. Wasted time without any additional advantage.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
You used to be able to see if the workbook had any external links from the paper clip icon- if it were blue, you knew there were links. Now the "Workbook Links" icon always shows a blue paperclip, even when there are no links, forcing you to open the pane to see if there are really any links. Changing data source in "Edit Links" was so much easier with the old functionality. The new pane is much more difficult to navigate. Please change it back!
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
That's absolutely my opinion. Wasted time without any additional advantage.
Hi all,
You are seeing the new Workbook Links task pane which is rolling out to production now.
The old Edit Links dialog is still in the product - you can add it back to the Ribbon if desired.
We will also link to the old dialog if the workbook contains non-Workbook links, e.g. OLEDB links.
Two issues I see:
- Always Enabled Button.
Good point about this killing the quick ability to see if the book has links or not.We matched the Web task pane design, but are listening to feedback.
- Pane vs. Dialog Ease of User
The task pane is supposed to be easier and better for Workbook Links.
e.g.
We now have a Find feature to show you where the links exist in your workbook (a long running ask)
We no longer have confusing choices that don't apply to Workbook Links or a confusing "status" check flow (we just show you the state)
Can you tell us more details about what's missing/confusing/wrong with the Pane relative to the old Dialog?
Hi James, I agree with many others here in saying that the new pane feature is a pain, although now thankfully not needed after customising the Ribbon.
Just one question, where can I find the Find feature that shows where the links exist?
Sorry for the puns, I just couldn't resist.
Hi James,
"Can you tell us more details about what's missing/confusing/wrong with the Pane relative to the old Dialog? "
- The pane in “Workbook links” does not appear to allow for multi-select of multiple sources that you want to take action on. I see the option to “Break all”, but not the ability to choose just the links you want to break. Unless I'm not seeing the option , it looks like you have to choose each source separately to specify the action you want to take. Same for “Open workbook”- looks like the pane makes you choose each source separately. The “Edit Links” allow multi-select here for opening all sources at once.
I used to be able to see 'at a glance' if all the links to a file were open, now there is no way to tell
I can either 'refresh all', or 'break all', but not 'check if the link file is open or not', which is what I need to know
I cant even find this out one file at a time!
Only 'open', 'copy', 'change', or 'break'
Please, please, please can someone help me to find the 'Status' information I used to have:
Thanks in advance
I found this information a few years after OP, first thanks to Margaret for the "how to" on adding the "Edit Links".
And to Microsoft, honestly stop adding stuff we don't want or asked for, or at least give us the option to either opt-in or out, every change you make keep screwing the workflow to many of us has, I have to keep rolling back on stuff you move, it delays my macros and even messes with muscle memory on how to move faster in the program.