Why did Microsoft change the "Edit Links" to "Workbook Links" in the Queries and Connections tab?

Anonymous
2023-09-06T15:04:07+00:00

You used to be able to see if the workbook had any external links from the paper clip icon- if it were blue, you knew there were links. Now the "Workbook Links" icon always shows a blue paperclip, even when there are no links, forcing you to open the pane to see if there are really any links. Changing data source in "Edit Links" was so much easier with the old functionality. The new pane is much more difficult to navigate. Please change it back!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-15T10:43:47+00:00

    In case of using Multiple Links in a single Document and want to select some or the top 4 links in the list

    Please add Option, Break Selected Links near Break All

    add ability to multi-select links by ctrl Key ( one by one )

    Shift+Ctrl to select top to next 4 by down arrow Key ( like we select rows )

    one more shortcut to hide or close this workbook link box

    I have added Edit links in a separate Group in the Data tab but its takes a random short key assigned to it ( Y1 ),

    Please also add a feature in the more commands section to edit shortcut assignments to commands

    add a feature to assign the desired shortcut to any command

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T17:48:22+00:00

    Even this is a misleading statement and makes the update worse. If I want to add back the "Edit Links" I cannot add it back to where it was before this upgrade but I have to put it to a "Custom Group" so now its off to the side in a brand new place that I have to re-learn where it is. Microsoft shouldnt have removed the "Edit Links" function and made it so cumbersome to add back. This was a bad choice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T18:57:22+00:00

    Tony,

    You can customize your ribbon and move your new custom Edit Links group to be in the Data group. I added mine right before the Queries & Connections command in the Data Group. Now it stands out on its own and I've gotten used to it very quickly because it's right there :)

    Good luck,

    Nicholle

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T20:26:00+00:00

    I've added the "edit Link" button to the ribbon but it is greyed out - s if there were no links. The new workbook links is awful. I receive many workbooks where I have litterally hundreds of links, and I need to go through and break all the ones with erros, or pointing to workbooks outside ofmy organization. Now the only option I have is break all, or go through them one by one !! HELP !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-09T08:30:11+00:00

    If I need to break more than one link and not all links, so, I have to break them one by one, which is wasting time.

    So, I need to select the link, then select "break link", then answer "Yes" to the dialog box, and repeat all of these transactions for each link!!

    In the old functionality, I was selecting all the links that I need to break in one action.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments