A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
I assume you are talking about the online version of Excel? The desktop version still has Edit Links.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
You used to be able to see if the workbook had any external links from the paper clip icon- if it were blue, you knew there were links. Now the "Workbook Links" icon always shows a blue paperclip, even when there are no links, forcing you to open the pane to see if there are really any links. Changing data source in "Edit Links" was so much easier with the old functionality. The new pane is much more difficult to navigate. Please change it back!
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I assume you are talking about the online version of Excel? The desktop version still has Edit Links.
Hi Rory...
Thank you very much for posting a reply. I'm not working from the online version of Excel. Here is the version information from the Excel desktop app:
Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2308 Build 16.0.16731.20052) 64-bit
Best,
Margaret
Ah yes, I see that on my home computer - my work one is on delayed semi-annual release, so it still has the Edit Links button.
I have to agree, that is not a good change!
Hi all,
You are seeing the new Workbook Links task pane which is rolling out to production now.
The old Edit Links dialog is still in the product - you can add it back to the Ribbon if desired.
We will also link to the old dialog if the workbook contains non-Workbook links, e.g. OLEDB links.
Two issues I see:
We matched the Web task pane design, but are listening to feedback.
The task pane is supposed to be easier and better for Workbook Links.
e.g.
We now have a Find feature to show you where the links exist in your workbook (a long running ask)
We no longer have confusing choices that don't apply to Workbook Links or a confusing "status" check flow (we just show you the state)
Can you tell us more details about what's missing/confusing/wrong with the Pane relative to the old Dialog?
Hi James,
***Thank you for letting me know the Edit Links dialog is still available – I’ve added to the ribbon and my life is much better now!*** 😊
***This is great – I had an add-in that worked exactly the same way which I won’t need anymore.***
***The “check status” in the Edit Links wasn’t confusing to me. I use it to see if a linked workbook is open (if mine) or to see if the source is not reachable because it's someone else’s workbook that they may have moved out of the original location.***
***The pane in “Workbook links” does not appear to allow for multi-select of multiple sources that you want to take action on. I see the option to “Break all”, but not the ability to choose just the links you want to break. Unless I'm not seeing the option , it looks like you have to choose each source separately to specify the action you want to take.***
Same for “Open workbook”- looks like the pane makes you choose each source separately. The “Edit Links” allow multi-select here for opening all sources at once. Thank you for your speedy response to my post - I really appreciate your help!