Why did Microsoft change the "Edit Links" to "Workbook Links" in the Queries and Connections tab?

Anonymous
2023-09-06T15:04:07+00:00

You used to be able to see if the workbook had any external links from the paper clip icon- if it were blue, you knew there were links. Now the "Workbook Links" icon always shows a blue paperclip, even when there are no links, forcing you to open the pane to see if there are really any links. Changing data source in "Edit Links" was so much easier with the old functionality. The new pane is much more difficult to navigate. Please change it back!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-11T15:52:08+00:00

    I just noticed that too this morning. I'm a project manager and I have links to MSProject in my excel file. The Data/Edit Links is crucial for my work and I was panicking I couldn't find my normal Edit Links and see that it was replaced by this stupid Workbook Links. What a short sight from some software engineers. For some reason Workbook Links doesn't see my links to MSProject. Fortunatly, I was able to modify the ribbon, add a custom group and add the good old Edit Links to it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-07T09:37:18+00:00

    Bring the edit links feature back. At least ask the users who are actually using the feature that Microsoft has removed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-06T19:41:19+00:00

    Change it back to the way it was. You guys must test this stuff on idiots. You think you're being helpful but you're ruining the product for people who know what they're doing. Not everything has to have an "easy" button. We're not all 10 year olds on our Ipads.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-06T17:34:23+00:00

    With the old dialog, I used to be able to go to Edit Links, select multiple files, and click Open File to open all the linked files at once. With this new Workbook Links function, I have to open each file individually.

    Same with Breaking Links - I could select multiple files and Break Links - I may not necessarily want to break All links, but with the Workbook Link function it's either All or one at a time..

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments