Why did Microsoft change the "Edit Links" to "Workbook Links" in the Queries and Connections tab?

Anonymous
2023-09-06T15:04:07+00:00

You used to be able to see if the workbook had any external links from the paper clip icon- if it were blue, you knew there were links. Now the "Workbook Links" icon always shows a blue paperclip, even when there are no links, forcing you to open the pane to see if there are really any links. Changing data source in "Edit Links" was so much easier with the old functionality. The new pane is much more difficult to navigate. Please change it back!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-02T01:45:20+00:00

    Hi all,

    You are seeing the new Workbook Links task pane which is rolling out to production now.

    The old Edit Links dialog is still in the product - you can add it back to the Ribbon if desired.

    We will also link to the old dialog if the workbook contains non-Workbook links, e.g. OLEDB links.

    Two issues I see:

    1. Always Enabled Button.
      Good point about this killing the quick ability to see if the book has links or not.

    We matched the Web task pane design, but are listening to feedback.

    1. Pane vs. Dialog Ease of User

    The task pane is supposed to be easier and better for Workbook Links.

    e.g.

    We now have a Find feature to show you where the links exist in your workbook (a long running ask)

    We no longer have confusing choices that don't apply to Workbook Links or a confusing "status" check flow (we just show you the state)

    Can you tell us more details about what's missing/confusing/wrong with the Pane relative to the old Dialog?

    Hi James, I agree with many others here in saying that the new pane feature is a pain, although now thankfully not needed after customising the Ribbon.

    Just one question, where can I find the Find feature that shows where the links exist?

    Sorry for the puns, I just couldn't resist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T17:48:22+00:00

    Even this is a misleading statement and makes the update worse. If I want to add back the "Edit Links" I cannot add it back to where it was before this upgrade but I have to put it to a "Custom Group" so now its off to the side in a brand new place that I have to re-learn where it is. Microsoft shouldnt have removed the "Edit Links" function and made it so cumbersome to add back. This was a bad choice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-31T11:15:20+00:00

    Hi Margret,

    as James said, I also appreciated the "status check" which was very helpful and is missing now.

    Gerald

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Rory Archibald 19,140 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-09-06T15:39:29+00:00

    I assume you are talking about the online version of Excel? The desktop version still has Edit Links.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments