Why did Microsoft change the "Edit Links" to "Workbook Links" in the Queries and Connections tab?

Anonymous
2023-09-06T15:04:07+00:00

You used to be able to see if the workbook had any external links from the paper clip icon- if it were blue, you knew there were links. Now the "Workbook Links" icon always shows a blue paperclip, even when there are no links, forcing you to open the pane to see if there are really any links. Changing data source in "Edit Links" was so much easier with the old functionality. The new pane is much more difficult to navigate. Please change it back!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-09-08T14:02:35+00:00

    Hi James

    How do I add back the old EDIT Links to the ribbon? have had a look in Excel option- Customise Ribbon but it's not immediately obvious.

    Why, why do Microsoft make these changes without testing it with users?

    thanks

    Sharon

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-16T16:00:26+00:00

    I was having the same issue as I heavily rely on keyboard shortcuts - the only fix i could find was to completely remove the new "Queries & Connections" group, and adding the custom "edit links". Removing the "Queries & Connections" defaulted the "edit links" to ALT+A+K (still going to have to get used to that as i was used to ALT+E+K).

    I don't understand how Microsoft would think this update is helpful for people who use excel every day.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-06T19:20:26+00:00

    Hi Rory...

    Thank you very much for posting a reply. I'm not working from the online version of Excel. Here is the version information from the Excel desktop app:

    Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2308 Build 16.0.16731.20052) 64-bit

    Best,

    Margaret

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-14T13:02:59+00:00

    Exactly this. It's highly frustrating to have keyboard shortcuts to functions used multiple times daily taken away.

    How can I assign the old keyboard shortcut link for edit links (alt-a-k in my version) back to edit links? It's now linked to workbook links.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Rory Archibald 19,140 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-09-06T19:35:13+00:00

    Ah yes, I see that on my home computer - my work one is on delayed semi-annual release, so it still has the Edit Links button.

    I have to agree, that is not a good change!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments