A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Thank you! That work around worked! I appreciate the help.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
I'm trying to get students to submit work as Word documents (I need to be able to cut/paste things from the documents because of an activity). Neither they nor I can download or upload their documents as Word documents. When they try to upload them to our LMS, they appear as pdfs. When they email me the link to their documents, I can view them online, but I can't save them to my computer with the rest of the class's documents. When I try to download them, it simply opens the file again in another browser tab. There is nothing in my browser's downloads, so it's not even attempting to download the file.
How can I either direct the student to upload their file as a workable Word document or download their documents as Word documents so I can manipulate them and save them?
I've seen a lot of questions about this but no actual answers. There was a mention of Onedrive in one response, but I don't use Onedrive at all because it interferes with my Dropbox. I just want to download the file, not save it to another online cloud like Onedrive.
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thank you! That work around worked! I appreciate the help.
What do you use instead of Onedrive? I used to have an older MS Office suite (2013?) installed on my PC, but after a bad virus, had to completely wipe the PC. Microsoft said they no longer supported the old version of Office that I had, so would not provide another version for me to download. I am left to use the free online version. I hate it with a passion. Can you still buy MS Office to install directly on a PC or does it force you to have to log into Onedrive to use it?
I use dropbox. I can't use onedrive because it interferes with dropbox's syncing.
This worked for me. It is ridiculous that "Download Copy to Computer" does not work. It is the 21st century and people have been downloading files for decades now. Fix your program.
You can still buy a perpetual-license version of Office (Office 2021 is the current version) or buy a subscription to Microsoft 365. Both will give you locally installed desktop versions of the Office apps. Both push OneDrive very hard (as does Windows 11, which, by default, puts the Documents folder inside the OneDrive folder), but you don't have to use OneDrive. You can choose to "Save to computer by default" and disable syncing to OneDrive.