How do I download documents from Word online to my desktop?

Anonymous
2023-11-29T12:36:44+00:00

Hello,

I'm trying to get students to submit work as Word documents (I need to be able to cut/paste things from the documents because of an activity). Neither they nor I can download or upload their documents as Word documents. When they try to upload them to our LMS, they appear as pdfs. When they email me the link to their documents, I can view them online, but I can't save them to my computer with the rest of the class's documents. When I try to download them, it simply opens the file again in another browser tab. There is nothing in my browser's downloads, so it's not even attempting to download the file.

How can I either direct the student to upload their file as a workable Word document or download their documents as Word documents so I can manipulate them and save them?

I've seen a lot of questions about this but no actual answers. There was a mention of Onedrive in one response, but I don't use Onedrive at all because it interferes with my Dropbox. I just want to download the file, not save it to another online cloud like Onedrive.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-29T15:31:23+00:00

    Hello,

    Good day!

    Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist. We are looking into your situation and we will update the thread shortly.

    Appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for your time and cooperation.

    Sincerely,

    Tina | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-11-29T23:59:58+00:00

    This is the answer for OneDrive; someone else will have to answer for Dropbox:

    Instead of trying to use File | Download, click on Editing and choose Open in Desktop App.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-30T00:47:30+00:00

    It almost worked! It wants to open it using Onedrive when I follow those instructions, which fails.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-02T19:31:52+00:00

    Hello Laura,

    We appreciate your precious time doing tests and sharing with us the result.

    I researched a lot from my side. Honestly, I didn't find other workaround for your requirement. I apologize for the inconvenience.

    In this situation, I sincerely recommend you try raising a ticket from Microsoft 365 Admin Center, contact support team who has higher permission and more resource to help you further check the issue, they can remotely assist you and help you look for other way to download documents. This would be the most efficient way in handling this case for you.

    Reference: Get support - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn

    Note: To create a support ticket, you need to have Microsoft 365 admin privileges and if you aren’t admin of your Office 365 organization, please contact the admin of creating a new ticket.

    How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin?

    Apologies for redirecting you to the related team support as the moderators in this community have limited resources to remotely assist you or check the backend information, and to get the fast and better assistance we requested for it.

    Appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for your time and cooperation!

    Sincerely,

    Tina | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2023-12-02T22:44:35+00:00

    Hi

    These are questions for the support team of your Learning Management System.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments