How do I download documents from Word online to my desktop?

Anonymous
2023-11-29T12:36:44+00:00

Hello,

I'm trying to get students to submit work as Word documents (I need to be able to cut/paste things from the documents because of an activity). Neither they nor I can download or upload their documents as Word documents. When they try to upload them to our LMS, they appear as pdfs. When they email me the link to their documents, I can view them online, but I can't save them to my computer with the rest of the class's documents. When I try to download them, it simply opens the file again in another browser tab. There is nothing in my browser's downloads, so it's not even attempting to download the file.

How can I either direct the student to upload their file as a workable Word document or download their documents as Word documents so I can manipulate them and save them?

I've seen a lot of questions about this but no actual answers. There was a mention of Onedrive in one response, but I don't use Onedrive at all because it interferes with my Dropbox. I just want to download the file, not save it to another online cloud like Onedrive.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-10T19:02:38+00:00

    I don't work with online programs. I'm simply trying to download a document my student sent me so I can put my comments on it using track changes. The student uses Word online. I don't understand why Word online and the Word desktop are incompatible programs! Googledocs works better with Word desktop than it seems like Word online does.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-10T17:15:38+00:00

    When you are working with a document in Word, Excel or PowerPoint Online, all changes you make are saved to OneDrive or SharePoint. There is no way around that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-10T17:00:01+00:00

    Hello,

    I don't understand why Onedrive is needed to download a file that was created using online Word? Why can't I simply download it as a Word document? I can do this with Googledocs, and that's not even a Microsoft program.

    I won't speak for Brian, just as the original poster-- Onedrive interferes with other programs, which is why I have it disabled. To be clear, I'm not composing anything on online Word. I'm just trying to open documents that were sent to me (and the sender used Online Word). Again, not trying to store anything in any kind of cloud, just trying to download it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-10T15:50:29+00:00

    I have no solutions to your problem, but I wanted to let you know you aren't alone. I have exactly the same problem. I teach and have to deal with students navigating all this ridiculousness. I can't and don't want to use OneDrive - and have it disabled. I have resorted to using Open Office, a free, open source version of MS Office. This is so frustrating. My deepest sympathies.

    Brian,

    More information is needed. If you are not using OneDrive, from where are you trying to download files, exactly?

    Word Online requires that you store documents in OneDrive or SharePoint.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more