How do I download documents from Word online to my desktop?

Anonymous
2023-11-29T12:36:44+00:00

Hello,

I'm trying to get students to submit work as Word documents (I need to be able to cut/paste things from the documents because of an activity). Neither they nor I can download or upload their documents as Word documents. When they try to upload them to our LMS, they appear as pdfs. When they email me the link to their documents, I can view them online, but I can't save them to my computer with the rest of the class's documents. When I try to download them, it simply opens the file again in another browser tab. There is nothing in my browser's downloads, so it's not even attempting to download the file.

How can I either direct the student to upload their file as a workable Word document or download their documents as Word documents so I can manipulate them and save them?

I've seen a lot of questions about this but no actual answers. There was a mention of Onedrive in one response, but I don't use Onedrive at all because it interferes with my Dropbox. I just want to download the file, not save it to another online cloud like Onedrive.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-03T19:08:50+00:00

    Same, Suzanne!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-03T19:07:39+00:00

    How do you get to that first screen? I'm trying to download it from the document already being open (the student is just emailing me a link, and it opens automatically).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-03T19:07:32+00:00

    Sorry, note when you first click on>Download it has not downloaded. You need to Click>File>Save (save as is grayed out>File again>This time Save As is visible (Missed this bit! sorry).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-12-03T17:59:22+00:00

    When I do this, it just wants to open in Word Online again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-03T16:32:56+00:00

    For my requirement? Are we not supposed to be able to open online Word documents in the desktop app? That's all I'm asking for!

    Yes, I right clicked on the Word document. Then on Download>

    You can see that you would need to use File>Save As> to install it on C Drive (I saved the document to desktop

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments