How do I download documents from Word online to my desktop?

Anonymous
2023-11-29T12:36:44+00:00

Hello,

I'm trying to get students to submit work as Word documents (I need to be able to cut/paste things from the documents because of an activity). Neither they nor I can download or upload their documents as Word documents. When they try to upload them to our LMS, they appear as pdfs. When they email me the link to their documents, I can view them online, but I can't save them to my computer with the rest of the class's documents. When I try to download them, it simply opens the file again in another browser tab. There is nothing in my browser's downloads, so it's not even attempting to download the file.

How can I either direct the student to upload their file as a workable Word document or download their documents as Word documents so I can manipulate them and save them?

I've seen a lot of questions about this but no actual answers. There was a mention of Onedrive in one response, but I don't use Onedrive at all because it interferes with my Dropbox. I just want to download the file, not save it to another online cloud like Onedrive.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T14:16:47+00:00

    I cannot provide the documents without violating FERPA. When I try to open a docx file created in the online version, it will ONLY download as a pdf.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-04-10T12:54:17+00:00

    But they should at least be compatible. I'm using the desktop and am the one facing barriers because work created on the free online version is inaccessible to me.

    Laura,

    The online version of Word and the full, desktop version of the application both use the *.docx file type by default.

    Could you perhaps provide us with a sample document that fails to open in the desktop version at your end.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T11:35:10+00:00

    But they should at least be compatible. I'm using the desktop and am the one facing barriers because work created on the free online version is inaccessible to me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-04-10T11:21:59+00:00

    Horrible app paying money can give down a file Horrible dont pay for it

    The online version of Word is very limited, but it is free. No charges.

    Presumably, you are referring to something else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T10:14:18+00:00

    Horrible app paying money can give down a file Horrible dont pay for it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments