losing formatting when copying from Excel Web

Anonymous
2023-07-04T01:37:03+00:00

I am on Windows 10 and have tried this on both Chrome and Edge.

I have certain shared Excel files that I access through Excel Web. Prior to today, I could copy/paste the data from Excel Web to Outlook Desktop and it would keep the source formatting (both text and table design).

Now, it is pasting as a table but without any text formatting or table design. I am losing all the formatting when I:

  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Outlook Desktop
  • copy from Excel Web in Edge to Outlook Desktop
  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Outlook Web in Chrome
  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Excel Web in Edge (or the reverse)

The only instance when it retains the formatting is when I am copying from Excel Web to Excel Web in the same browser (either Chrome or Edge).

*Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office/Excel/Unknown/Windows*

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T19:09:27+00:00

    Same issue, when copy pasting into email or our Zen Desk support platform from excel online, all formatting is long (including linked text) and instead, shows a rich text format (not even just no formatting...but worse).

    Here is what I'm copying from excel online (with hyperlinked text):

    Here is what it looks like after pasting into a non-excel program (using keyboard codes and right click)

    Here is what it looks like after pasting into Outlook email server:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T17:32:00+00:00

    SAME ISSUE HERE; need this fixed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T17:24:39+00:00

    I'll just add my two cents here to boost this. We're seeing the same behavior. First noticed on July 3rd.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T15:05:40+00:00

    I also have the same issue (UK based) from today. Will this be fixed for the online version of Excel ? The desktop version copies the formatting correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T15:04:13+00:00

    I am using CTRL+C and CTRL+V.

    Outlook Desktop version 2306 (Build 16529.20154), Microsoft 365 for enterprise.

    I updated Office/Windows and restarted my computer once the issue started, but it is still happening.

    To clarify: copy/paste works fine from Excel Desktop to Outlook/Word Desktop and from Excel Desktop to Outlook/Word Web. The issue seems to be with Excel Web to anything other than the same browser instance of Excel Web.

    Below is what it looks like when I copy/paste into Outlook Desktop - embedded in the upper right is what it looked like in Excel Web.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments