losing formatting when copying from Excel Web

Anonymous
2023-07-04T01:37:03+00:00

I am on Windows 10 and have tried this on both Chrome and Edge.

I have certain shared Excel files that I access through Excel Web. Prior to today, I could copy/paste the data from Excel Web to Outlook Desktop and it would keep the source formatting (both text and table design).

Now, it is pasting as a table but without any text formatting or table design. I am losing all the formatting when I:

  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Outlook Desktop
  • copy from Excel Web in Edge to Outlook Desktop
  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Outlook Web in Chrome
  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Excel Web in Edge (or the reverse)

The only instance when it retains the formatting is when I am copying from Excel Web to Excel Web in the same browser (either Chrome or Edge).

*Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office/Excel/Unknown/Windows*

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T13:37:06+00:00

    FYI I just checked, and this issue seems to be isolated to Excel.

    I tried copying a formatted table from Word Online and it pasted into outlook just fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T13:26:29+00:00

    I am Nick, we are having the same exact problem as described above. Last week all was fine. This week the sheets have to be opened in the app, not the browser, to copy and retain the formatting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T13:14:34+00:00

    SAme issue here. Unfortunately this issue makes it so my spreadsheets are unusable and all need to be recalibrated just to work. Can we at least get confirmation that this issue is being handled?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T13:09:05+00:00

    I am having the same issue as well. When coping from excel to outlook the format/border does not transfer over. Only the wording. Is there way to fix this. Is this an issue with all users? Are you working on fixing this issue?

    Please assist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T12:54:30+00:00

    Same issue here across our entire organization. This change needs to be reverted ASAP.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments