losing formatting when copying from Excel Web

Anonymous
2023-07-04T01:37:03+00:00

I am on Windows 10 and have tried this on both Chrome and Edge.

I have certain shared Excel files that I access through Excel Web. Prior to today, I could copy/paste the data from Excel Web to Outlook Desktop and it would keep the source formatting (both text and table design).

Now, it is pasting as a table but without any text formatting or table design. I am losing all the formatting when I:

  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Outlook Desktop
  • copy from Excel Web in Edge to Outlook Desktop
  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Outlook Web in Chrome
  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Excel Web in Edge (or the reverse)

The only instance when it retains the formatting is when I am copying from Excel Web to Excel Web in the same browser (either Chrome or Edge).

*Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office/Excel/Unknown/Windows*

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T14:38:35+00:00

    Good morning. Is this a global issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T12:59:03+00:00

    I am having the same issue. Copying worked correctly on 07/03/2023, and the issue is not isolated by user. The options to keep source formatting when pasting does keep any font or wrap text, but does not keep borders, font or cell color, or even "bold". In order to have any of that copy properly we have to open in the desktop version first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T12:43:26+00:00

    Hi, I'm joining this thread because I started to have the same issue as well from this morning.

    When I try to copy data from Excel opened in a Sharepoint environment or in an MS Teams environment I totally lose formatting in every other Office Desktop application offline.

    I tried to paste both images (from Excel online and to Outlook message), but these are not accepted.

    Nevertheless, the image you proposed in the initial answer is reflecting the situation, what's formatted in a table with colours, style and borders is totally lost when pasted in outlook.

    MC

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T09:04:05+00:00

    I am having the same issue.

    My setting have not changed, and now when I copy from excel in Sharepoint into Outlook desktop version, all my formatting is lost.

    When I open the Sharepoint excel in desktop via editing, I am able to copy and paste without losing formatting.

    I tired to upload my screen shot but my files are failing to upload.

    CJ

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-04T20:02:09+00:00

    Hello S15IS,

    Welcome to Microsoft Office Community. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

    We understand that you are trying to transfer your data from Excel Online to Outlook desktop. Based on your description, you were unable to do that because of the formatting not cared over to the Outlook desktop. Let’s us check on this together and sort this out. Rest assured, we will do anything in our capability to assist you with your concern.

    We would like to ensure that we fully understand your concern, we will be sharing observation below and we would like to ask for few details:

    1. May we know how do you copy and paste your data? Is it using keyboard or using paste special format from Excel?
    2. May we know the Outlook Desktop Office version and edition (Microsoft 365 Family or Office Home and Business 2021)? For guide: About Office: What version of Office am I using? - Microsoft Support
    3. Have you tried to restart your device and check if the issue persist?
    4. Can you please post a screenshot of the issue you are encountering?

    There is a possibility that you are seeing the plain version of your table you formatted on the Excel Online when transferring it from one app to another. Based on our experience, you will have to choose from this default paste style options: Use Destination Style, Link & Keep Source Formatting, Link & Destination Styles, Picture and Keep text only (see left screenshot). Or to simplify the options for simple text, we only have Merging Formatting and Keep Text Only (see right screenshot).

    Screenshots for illustration:

    We look forward to your response.

    If you have other clarifications about this matter, you can get back to us by replying to this post.

    Sincerely,

    Kathy A.

    Consumer M365 Forum Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments