losing formatting when copying from Excel Web

Anonymous
2023-07-04T01:37:03+00:00

I am on Windows 10 and have tried this on both Chrome and Edge.

I have certain shared Excel files that I access through Excel Web. Prior to today, I could copy/paste the data from Excel Web to Outlook Desktop and it would keep the source formatting (both text and table design).

Now, it is pasting as a table but without any text formatting or table design. I am losing all the formatting when I:

  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Outlook Desktop
  • copy from Excel Web in Edge to Outlook Desktop
  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Outlook Web in Chrome
  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Excel Web in Edge (or the reverse)

The only instance when it retains the formatting is when I am copying from Excel Web to Excel Web in the same browser (either Chrome or Edge).

*Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office/Excel/Unknown/Windows*

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T05:15:30+00:00

    Hi,

    Got the same issue here as well since July 5th

    Formatting getting lost from Excel Web to anywhere

    Working like it should from Excel Desktop

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T01:59:36+00:00

    I also have the same issue.

    As at 4th July, I can no longer copy and paste (control C & Control V) from a shared excel sheet in Microsoft Teams to any other source (eg, desktop excel, outlook) WITHOUT losing formatting.

    What's the issue?  It worked fine beforehand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T21:15:05+00:00

    Hello S15IS and Everyone,

    It seems that you have a problem related to copying data from Excel Online or SharePoint and transfer or paste to Outlook desktop (Microsoft Teams) issue. As our forum mainly focuses on the consumer support Office Products and Outlook.com, to make sure that you can get a more professional help, we will be moving your post to the correct forum: Microsoft 365 and Office / Excel / For business / Windows.

    If anyone here is not using Commercial Office products like SharePoint or Microsoft 365 Enterprise and encountering this issue, please create a new thread for us to assist you with your concern.

    For everyone that is using Commercial Office products, kindly expect 1-2 business days for them to respond.

    We highly appreciate your cooperation and understanding! We thank you for your time and participation in the community! Have a good day!

    Sincerely,

    Kathy A.

    Consumer M365 Forum Moderator

    Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T20:41:08+00:00

    We are seeing the same issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T19:13:56+00:00

    Hi there, throwing our hat in the ring... same issue here on our end as of this morning July 5th. Effects all users within our tenant.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments