Error: The last time you opened BasicSimple.dotx, it caused a serious error

Anonymous
2023-01-28T14:48:37+00:00

When I am typing in Word, I will hover the mouse over the toolbar and spin the wheel and as it goes back to the right toolbar (Home for example from view) I get this error: Error: "The last time you opened BasicSimple.dotx, it caused a serious error. Do you still want to open it?"

I do not understand why it keep popping up only when i spin the scroll wheel when i am trying to switch between toolbar menus. Any advice?

Moderator's note: BasicSimple.dotx is a built-in [Quick] Style Set.

[Quick] Style Sets and Word Themes in Microsoft Word

[Quick] Style Sets

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-07-24T15:55:25+00:00

Can you please give me a step by step description of what you did. I am the one who created this thread and so far nothing I have tried or seen here has worked. I still get the same error.

Hi sidscrat,

Your Normal.dotm file should be at this locaition: C:\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

Rename Normal.dotm to Normal.dotm_old or something similar. After that, restart the computer.

That process seemed to fix the issue for some of us.

James

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-14T07:30:47+00:00

    Yes I mentioned the wheel in my original post. I did what you instructed here but it still does it so I restored the registry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-14T19:22:30+00:00

    Did restoring the registry help? We are running into this issue on one of our computers now too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-14T19:40:18+00:00

    Yes I mentioned the wheel in my original post. I did what you instructed here but it still does it so I restored the registry.

    What does "restored the registry" mean, specifically?

    Generally, it is safer to leave the Windows registry alone, unless you are following exact steps to make edits.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-14T19:50:46+00:00

    Yes I know the registry is a delicate thing but your instructions for the COM Add-ins required backing up and then deleting the registry keys listed below. When it did not solve the problem I restored it. So no change has been made.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments