Error: The last time you opened BasicSimple.dotx, it caused a serious error

Anonymous
2023-01-28T14:48:37+00:00

When I am typing in Word, I will hover the mouse over the toolbar and spin the wheel and as it goes back to the right toolbar (Home for example from view) I get this error: Error: "The last time you opened BasicSimple.dotx, it caused a serious error. Do you still want to open it?"

I do not understand why it keep popping up only when i spin the scroll wheel when i am trying to switch between toolbar menus. Any advice?

Moderator's note: BasicSimple.dotx is a built-in [Quick] Style Set.

[Quick] Style Sets and Word Themes in Microsoft Word

[Quick] Style Sets

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-07-24T15:55:25+00:00

Can you please give me a step by step description of what you did. I am the one who created this thread and so far nothing I have tried or seen here has worked. I still get the same error.

Hi sidscrat,

Your Normal.dotm file should be at this locaition: C:\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

Rename Normal.dotm to Normal.dotm_old or something similar. After that, restart the computer.

That process seemed to fix the issue for some of us.

James

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-09T18:32:01+00:00

    Thanks for your advice but the problem persists. I did the disable process you suggested and the template was in there. After hitting okay I closed Word and restarted it. I am able to duplicate that same error by holding the cursor over the toolbar area and as I rotate the wheel it moves from one toolbar to the next. If I rotate the wheel fast the error appears. I tried repair but it had no effect.

    In answer to your questions, I did not create that template to my knowledge and i always use the same one. Also it happens on any word document including right after I open a new one. We use MS Office 365. My wife just told me she is having the exact same issue as I am. It probably started after an Office update.

    Any other suggestions?

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-10T00:58:29+00:00

    See if you find BasicSimple.dotx in Word's Startup folder. Move the template out of the Startup folder (with Word closed).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-10T17:37:15+00:00

    How do i find the start up folder?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-10T18:09:07+00:00

    Hold the Windows logo key as you press R; in the Run dialog box, type

    %appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup

    and press Enter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments