Error: The last time you opened BasicSimple.dotx, it caused a serious error

Anonymous
2023-01-28T14:48:37+00:00

When I am typing in Word, I will hover the mouse over the toolbar and spin the wheel and as it goes back to the right toolbar (Home for example from view) I get this error: Error: "The last time you opened BasicSimple.dotx, it caused a serious error. Do you still want to open it?"

I do not understand why it keep popping up only when i spin the scroll wheel when i am trying to switch between toolbar menus. Any advice?

Moderator's note: BasicSimple.dotx is a built-in [Quick] Style Set.

[Quick] Style Sets and Word Themes in Microsoft Word

[Quick] Style Sets

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-07-24T15:55:25+00:00

Can you please give me a step by step description of what you did. I am the one who created this thread and so far nothing I have tried or seen here has worked. I still get the same error.

Hi sidscrat,

Your Normal.dotm file should be at this locaition: C:\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

Rename Normal.dotm to Normal.dotm_old or something similar. After that, restart the computer.

That process seemed to fix the issue for some of us.

James

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-13T21:25:53+00:00

    If you can rule out that a specific template is causing this, you can always try renaming the Normal template (with Word closed). As you restart Word, the template will be recreated with factory defaults, and any code that references a broken macro (for example) will be flushed out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-13T12:53:29+00:00

    Yes, the folder is empty. What is odd is that I always use the same template. I suppose it could have been a document I received from someone else. As I mentioned earlier I just found out from my wife she is getting the same error on her computer. We have not exchanged anything recently.

    I guess I will just have to live with it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-13T12:31:14+00:00

    The File Locations dialog box will give you the path to the Startup folder, that is, the folder from which Word loads template files into memory on startup. Often you have to click Browse to see the whole path. This is just a way to confirm that you are looking in the correct place, in case the Startup path had been customized on your system.

    If you find that you have been looking in the correct place and there is still no sign of the template, you will have to consider the possibility that the template is loaded into memory because it is used as the document template for a document you are editing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-13T12:06:19+00:00

    This is what is in File Locations. I see nothing with that extension,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments