Error: The last time you opened BasicSimple.dotx, it caused a serious error

Anonymous
2023-01-28T14:48:37+00:00

When I am typing in Word, I will hover the mouse over the toolbar and spin the wheel and as it goes back to the right toolbar (Home for example from view) I get this error: Error: "The last time you opened BasicSimple.dotx, it caused a serious error. Do you still want to open it?"

I do not understand why it keep popping up only when i spin the scroll wheel when i am trying to switch between toolbar menus. Any advice?

Moderator's note: BasicSimple.dotx is a built-in [Quick] Style Set.

[Quick] Style Sets and Word Themes in Microsoft Word

[Quick] Style Sets

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-07-24T15:55:25+00:00

Can you please give me a step by step description of what you did. I am the one who created this thread and so far nothing I have tried or seen here has worked. I still get the same error.

Hi sidscrat,

Your Normal.dotm file should be at this locaition: C:\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

Rename Normal.dotm to Normal.dotm_old or something similar. After that, restart the computer.

That process seemed to fix the issue for some of us.

James

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-07-24T18:20:16+00:00

    For me normal.dot was not the cause of the problem. Here is a bit more background:

    Not sure if needed in this context, but I always use a file manager configured to show system and hidden files.

    Windows 10 machine, fully updated

    Microsoft® Word for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2306 Build 16.0.16529.20164) 64-bit

    1. Close Word and any app that may be using Word (e.g. Outlook).
    2. Find the QuickStyles folder. On my machine it is here:

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\1033\QuickStyles

    1. Locate basicsimple.dotx in the folder
    2. Move the template to another folder (or delete if you feel bold)

    Hope this helps

    The location for Custom [Quick] Style Sets is:

    C:\Users*username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\QuickStyles

    Look there first.

    For versions of Word earlier that 2016, the location for the installed ones will be in a different folder than used by ITMgr101.

    Off-topic Jargon alert:

    It is Normal.dotm, not Normal.dot nor Normal.dotx.

    Normal.dot was for pre-Word 2007 systems. Those systems would not be using [Quick] Style Sets.

    Normal.dotx has never been a part of a Word installation. The normal template is always macro-enabled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-24T16:48:35+00:00

    For me normal.dotm was not the cause of the problem. Here is a bit more background:

    Not sure if needed in this context, but I always use a file manager configured to show system and hidden files.

    Windows 10 machine, fully updated

    Microsoft® Word for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2306 Build 16.0.16529.20164) 64-bit

    1. Close Word and any app that may be using Word (e.g. Outlook).
    2. Find the QuickStyles folder. On my machine it is here:

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\1033\QuickStyles

    1. Locate basicsimple.dotx in the folder
    2. Move the template to another folder (or delete if you feel bold)

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-23T12:01:50+00:00

    Can you please give me a step by step description of what you did. I am the one who created this thread and so far nothing I have tried or seen here has worked. I still get the same error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments